Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

I have a the Smart shift and it jumps out gear after it is

Customer Question

I have a the Smart shift and it jumps out gear after it is wormed up. Also feels like it vibrating.It is fine for the first 20 or so miles.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

Below is the info I have located on this code for an Eaton model.This will have to be checked into/tested further to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

Fault Code 16: Eaton Proprietary Link (EPL)
J1587:MID 130 SID 248 FMI 2
Overview
Fault Code 16 indicates the Shift Controller and the Transmission
Controller are unable to communicate.
Detection
Starting at key on and throughout operation, the Shift Controller
constantly communicates with the Transmission
Controller. If a communication failure occurs for more than
5 seconds, Fault Code 16 is set.
Conditions to Set Fault Code Active
Fallback
This fault causes an in-place fallback while operating and a
failure during system initialization.
Possible Causes
This fault code can be caused by any of the following:
• Vehicle Harness
• Transmission Controller
• Shift Controller

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete