Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I have a Ls 180 that turns over but will not start, Not sure

Customer Question

I have a Ls 180 that turns over but will not start
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Not sure of the serial number, not at home right now. The Skid Steer is a LS180 New Holland
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im trying to .Im certainly not a skid steer mechanic. The machine started acting like the fuel filter was getting clogged, the engine would rev up and down by itself unless the throttle was wide open. then on day after turning it off, after about an hour i tried to start it again and it wouldn't start
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i started looking around inside the engine compartment and noticed a part that is supposed the be held on by 4 screws, was hanging on by one screw and there was an electrical wire that had fallen of. I went and purchased 4 new screw and attached the part and the electrical wire and still does not stat
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

If you open the fuel bleeder or the inlet line at the injection pump and crank, do you have fuel flowing to the pump? On the injection pump is an electric solenoid, that shuts off the fuel, does it click open as soon as the key is turned on? It has to have battery voltage for engine o start.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will check when I get back. lets say that fuel does come out to the pump when i crank, this means that the pump is working fine and the filter is ok?

Yes, fuel supply would ok, and if no smoke from the exhaust when cranking, would indicate the fuel shutoff is not opening.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It flooded the last time I tried to start it so there is fuel flowing. One of my friends mentioned that it may need to be bled?????

It would not flood. What do you mean by flood? If there is smoke at exhaust when cranking, there is fuel to the cylinders!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Strong smell of diesel

smoke from exhaust, smelling of diesel? You may have valve/camshaft problem, remove rocker cover and see if the valves are working.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?