Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a 2003 freightliner classic with a c15 what does it

Customer Question

I have a 2003 freightliner classic with a c15 what does it mean when the check engine light keeps flashing
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 1FUJAPAV73LK55793
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing just wondering what code it was
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
When the check engine light keeps flashing. It means there is a an active diagnostic code in the ecm. To determine what the code is, I like to use the cruise control switches to pull the two digit flash code. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.