Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
96118949

I have a 04/03 (production date) Izuzu NPR truck with 4.8

Hi. I have a 04/03 (production date) Izuzu NPR truck with 4.8 engine. It doesnt start. The customer was driving in the highway yesterday and it died on him. The tank has diesel, but it only starts if starting fluid sprayed. However engine dies right after the starting fluid effect. the tow truck guy said it is a fuel pump problem inside the tank but I dont see a fuel pump there. the only connector running to the fuel tank is the fuel leveler one. can somebody help me? I really need to get this truck running. Thanks. I'm Walter

hi im alex, the fuel pump on that engine is driven off of the injection pump, it is attached to the injection pump

check the fuel water separator and secondary filters

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Alex thanks for responding I'm going to do that tomorrow because I got busy with something else now. What do you mean by checking them? Better to replace them? And water separator can I just drain it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would continue tomorrow but what should I do to keep you assisting me with this
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sure it would be better to call you

Yeah if they haven't been done I would just replace them, the separator and the secondary filter, there is a bleeder screw on the lift pump you can crack and bleed out the system or a banjo bolt you can open to bleed as well

you can rate me whenever and I will keep this open as long as you need to get this truck running all follow-up questions are free after rating

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already bleed the pump however i didn't crank it I just pumped up the priming pump bolt until diesel came out from bleeding screw. There was no air by the way. Does that mean the auxiliary filters and separator are good?

Ok good , the secondary filter is after the lift pump, what I would do is crack open a fuel line at an injector and crank it untill you have fuel there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I will do that tomorrow morning

Sounds good it's a mechanical fuel system so pretty simple

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Alex this is Walter I'm back to this job. Okay I disconnected an inyector line and cranked for too long until battery got weak and fuel never came off of the line. I noticed that there is no fuel delivery to auxiliary fuel filter too. Because I changed the filter, drained the water separator and bleed the system and I wanted to know if I had fuel delivery to the filter but no, then I checked the injector line and neither. What do you think I should do next

It sounds like the lift pump isn't moving any fuel you got fuel to the lift pump by pumping the hand primer correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No fuel supply from tank main line to water separator either
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I keep the engine running by spraying starting fluid with line from tank to separator disconnected and no fuel, then I disconnect the line from pump to auxiliary filter and keep it running with starting fluid and same no fuel coming out

Ok I would pull line off pump see if there is suction,

Sounds like lift pump isn't pumping there is a lobe on injection pump shaft that runs lift pump remove lift pump and see if shaft is broken

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay no pump suction. Now I'm going to remove lift pump and check shaft. I never did this before any safety recommendations, special tools or something, should I mark something?

Nope just take the 3 bolts out, there is a plunger in there, nohing to mark. Might be under a little spring tension but not much

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay shaft not broken. Pump not broken. However, I operate pump manually and suction very poor or nothing. I guess the problem is the pump right

Yes sir if you pump it manually it should have pretty good suction so pump needs to be replaced

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Alex, this is Walter I had to order the pump they're delivering on Monday. As soon as I get it I'm going to install it and I'll let you know what happens

ok great

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh I'm still waiting to get the fuel pump on Monday. After I get it running I'm going to contact you to give you the news if that's it I'll rate you and I guess at the end of this you get your money from my card is that the way it works?

Ok well you can rate me at any time, all follow-up questions are free of charge. I do not receive any compensation until you rate me

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey Alex, I just replaced the fuel pump and still doesn't start but I guess I'm gonna have to take it to a specialist. But I'm going to rate you so you can get the money for your time. Thanks