Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
96118949

2005 International 7500 6x6 truck This truck is not

2005 International 7500 6x6 truck
This truck is not returning completely to center when finishing a turn. What can be done about this?
Please only answer if you are familiar with large truck. Thank you.

hi im alex, have you raised the front end and seen if it is easy to turn the wheel, sounds like stiff knuckles

could i get the last 8 of your vin# *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well it was much worse before but I didnt realize it was low on power steering fluid. we just purchased the truck. After that it got better but not fully returning to center.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
6j253172

ok i would lift the front end if you have the ability and see how hard it is to turn. have the knuckles been greased latley?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ill check. Im going to have it up in the air today to see why its wandering all over the road and bump steering.

ok let me know what you find

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we found very little play in two joints. we will replace them. but the drag link from wheel to wheel seems to be flexing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also, there is rust dust coming from the bottom of one of the kingpins. Is that indicative of a bad kingpin? or at least a kingpin that has not been properly greased therefore probably needs to be changed anyway?

Yes if you have rusty dust I would say they haven't been greased in a while. I would grease them really good purge all the old grease or dust out drive it 5 or 10 miles and then lift it back up and check for play, the wheel should be easy to turn with it off the ground, if it's not then I would replace the king pins,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How to I set the steering box or adjust it as there is excessive play and the box is not two years old.

like you turn the steering shaft and the output shaft does not turn right away? or where is the play? only thing you can adjust is the relief plungers

attached is the gear manual

do you need any more help with this?

i am an independent contractor, i do not receive any compensation until you rate my service, any follow up questions after rating will be free of charge. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll let you know

Ok thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, The gear box is not very old according to records but there is quite a bit of play in the steering input shaft. That is to say, I can move the input shaft significantly one way or the other and the pitman arm does not move.

Yeah that's not good sounds like box is toast. How long was the fluid low? Might have been a while

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
maybe. But the truck has been driven a total of maybe 10 hours since purchase. So, we cant account for what happened before. Is there anyway to check this?

I can look up warranty history but that won't tell us much, since it is an '05.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no I really meant how do I verify this is a bad box. I keep hearing of an adjustment for the shaft play on the back side of the gearbox. A hole through the frame?

oh ok sorry, got ya. as far as i know there is no adjustment to the input shaft, usually when there is that much play the input shaft has been twisted or there is rack damage, you can take it apart but we dont for liability reasons we jus replace them

only adjustment i know of is the pressure relief valves and that wont change the play in the shaft

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok do you know what tool can be used to remove the pitman arm of this gear box? its a sheppard m110

puller is a kent moore J-39256,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I have this puller, https://www.apexinds.com/tools/ZTSE4439.html. is it the same because this tool wont fit over my pitman arm. I also just ordered this tool that says its for the M110 https://www.amazon.com/Sheppard-M110-Pitman-Arm-Puller/dp/B00BBJ9HE4. Will it work?

no the kent moore is not the same at that OTC the one you ordered on amazon looks like it should work

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks ill let you know

your welcome

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that tool worked perfectly fyi, the tiger tool that is.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can i ask you a quick question? I need to remove the lock cylinder from the switch and I cant figure out how. I see the little hole but dont know what key position to have it in or what to do exactly.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nevermind I got it. thanks