Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
96118949

I have a 2005 international Dt466. For the past two years I

I have a 2005 international Dt466. For the past two years I have spent a lot of money on sensors and replaced all of the injectors. My problem is that when the truck sits for 48 hours it is hard to start. Also the colder it is outside the harder it is to start. It will also blow white smoke when it first start if it sits for that 48 hour time frame.Once the truck starts it will surge for 15 min then run smoothe for the rest of the day. If I cut the truck off, it will start right back up with zero problems. I took it to the international dealership and they told me that it did not have any codes and they could not see anything wrong with it. Almost a 500 charge to tell me that!!! I have changed the primer pump as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi im alex could i have the last 8 of your vin please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5H162334

ok thank you, ***** ***** fuel pressure been checked while trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Things I have had done
Replaced cam sensor 2 times
All injectors
Replaced IPR sensors
Checked the ball and spring on the fuel line
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they said all of that was good
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 independent mechanics and the international dealership

how long does it take to start when its hard starting

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All depends on how long it has been sitting 10 to 15 seconds normally. It will almost completly die out and then start. If it has been sitting for one day like Monday to Tuesday starts fine. It seems to be in the fuel line seeping back in to the tank. But no one can find it what it is.

yes that is what it sounds like to me, especially with the white smoke, have you tried pumping up the hand primer and see if it starts up after sitting?

there is also a check valve in the hand primer pump

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also had the tanks drained to check for water and trash. The mechanic said that it was typically amount.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hand primer pump was they changed out.

ok well i would let it sit and then pump up the hand primer and see if it starts this is a terrible fuel system, lots of problems with the filter head

does this have a grid heater?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We tried that. That was one of the first things we did. Bc it leaked fuel out. So we changed it. Let it sit for two days and tried to prime it. There was so much pressure you could not push it in till you started the truck. Yes they checked the intake grid heater as well.

how about if you put a battery charger on it and then crank after sitting, i have seen it where ECM voltage will dip below spec and cause a hard start

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would that not be a problem that would happen everyday? Also what do you think would make it surge after having trouble starting it.

no it wouldn't necessarily happen every day only after sitting and the battery's go down in voltage a bit, it only takes about 1v low to cause the ecm to kick out, the rpm runs up when it surges? has it always did this at start up or just since the hard start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It only surges when it hard to start. The harder it is start that morning the more it will surge. This may be hard to explain but doesn't rev up real high just a quick rum 1 second rum and so forth. When you are going down the road you can not even tell anything is wrong till you stop at a red lights or stop sign. This will eventually smooth out in about 5 to 10 miles.

has the egr valve been checked for sticking? that would cause hard starting and the surge, and would be worse when cold

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The surge it what was making the mechanics think it was an injector or another sensors near the fuel rail that they changed. But neither of those things helped. The truck has been a total nightmare and the international place is a joke to charge almost 500 to tell me they don't know.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's what the international place said they did along with updating the system. That is what they said their reasoning for charging that outrages amount.

yeah thats night right, hard to charge some one when you didnt fix anythng

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you give me detail list of things to do? Maybe top 5 things I could do to check it.

for hard starting #1 is ICP pressure #2 fuel pressure #3 battery voltage #4 egr valve for sticking and #5 grid heater malfunction

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

i will attach the hard start/no start sheet

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I didn't request that

no problem

here is the hard start no start sheet, and performance sheet as well

If you have any questions on the sheet let me know it is what any international dealer would use

another thing i was thinking was if the oil is running out of the front cover, if you let it set over the weekend and you pull the oil temp sensor which is by the high pressure pump in the front cover oil should run out, if it dosent then you have a leak in the front cover seals and that is causing the hard start

do you need any more help with this?

i am an independent contractor, i do not receive any compensation until you rate my service, any follow up questions after rating will be free of charge. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How is the problem fixed if the oil is leaking back?

removing the front half of the front cover and replacing the o rings and seals