Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.

We towed in a 2003 UD 1800HD cabover with the 6cyl Diesel.

Customer Question

Good Morning: We towed in a 2003 UD 1800HD cabover with the 6cyl Diesel.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: It appears to have a oil pan full of Diesel fuel?
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The fuel tank was found empty and it appears we have diesel fuel leaking out the rear main. Like I said the oil pan in OVERFULL of diesel fuel. We are suspecting an internally leaking injector pump? I am concerned the dilluted oil may shorten engine life if we do fix it? we pulled the valve cover and the valve train is washed clean. the engine rotation sounds normal?
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The truck has 213000 miles on it Please submitt
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

You have it right. The only place fuel can enter the crankcase is through a block mounted primer pump, or the injection pump shaft itself. No other way for diesel to enter the oil. And it very well can cause damage to the engine ,being diluted with the diesel. It cleans out all deposits, and gives very little lubrication. Find the leak, either primer pump or injection pump, and change oil and filter, and run engine and watch for damage, using an oil analysis to check for any unusual wear.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Back story & current status. Truck towed in void of diesel in the tank, drivers said id died and would no restart. Crank case found over full of diesel and an obvious (push-pull) primer valve leak. I am not sure if diesel can enter the crank case via this style primer valve, it simply screws onto the IP? We have drained the crankcase and filled it with oil to the proper level, we also removed the oil filter and drained it. I have advised my tech to notate the oil level, replace the primer valve, fill the fuel tank and attempt to bleed and start while watching the crankcase oil level. You thoughts?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

The primer will only allow fuel into the oil, if it is block mounted, driven by camshaft. f not, the injection pump shaft seal has failed. But I do agree with your thoughts! Locate problem, before putting truck back in service! We assume that driver/operator did not put diesel in the oil filler!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I agree, its not a block mounted primer valve. All though the oil was diluted with fuel their was still some short term lubricity available prior to the engine dieing. Do you have any experience with this style of IP? It has a drive shaft attached to it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

!! Not a direct connected injection pump. So what does it have for fuel control that crosses over to the block?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No it has fuel tubes running from the IP to the injectors. It is obviously an IP failure I just need to figure out if we want to r and r
it and send it out for a rebuild ourselves or sub the entire job out to M&D injector in Houston. These UD platforms can be costly and time consuming.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 days ago.

OK> I have used M and D in the past, and I was with Stewart and Stevenson in Dallas!.