Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.

Second opinion] - my son told me his truck was over heating

Customer Question

Second opinion] - hi dan my son told me his truck was over heating it 250deg I have not taken it down the road my self but running it in the yard I can only get it to 152deg out put wha bothers me is that the heat only works at idle and the in let water temp is only 67 deg.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: only my son told me it isn't running hot any more we have taken the ant freeze and running strate water with a cleaner
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

You have thermostat removed? If not, the thermostat is wide open, not allowing the coolant to warm up. I would replace the thermostat, as it is the coolant temperature regulator. It has to stay closed until engine reaches the thermostat set temperature, then slowly open to control temperature. It cycles on and off as engine temperature rises and falls. And anytime engine has been know to have been overheated, needs to be replaced. as the inner wax substance in the temperature probe, can melt out, and not let thermostat work.