Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
96118949

Got a 97 international 4900 DT4600E. Was working wonderful,

Customer Question

Got a 97 international 4900 DT4600E. Was working wonderful, then it would not turn over. check batt,and connects. OK Made contact at starter but no start. Have replace the diesel pressure regulationer but No
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: Start.
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had a diesel mechanic but no computer. Yes the Diesel Regulator
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Do you have electrical power to all components in your vehicle and did the starter engage when contact was made but it did not start?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No contact Just when I jump at starter.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Do you have electrical power at all other components though with this issue?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,this may be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch act up on several models in the past before needing replaced.I would have this switch tested to see if it is the cause here not sending the correct signals with the key on and when cranking over the engine.

Double check and make sure all fuses are good as well just in case this is a blown fuse issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Replace switch and all fuses OK
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Are you saying you replaced the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
check the fuses
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,looking through my info on this model here unfortunately I do not see or show wiring diagrams for this model myself to help with testing but someone else here may have this info.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do need this fix I have spent about 1000 and done everything possible. Thanks for any help.
Expert:  Alex Olsen replied 6 months ago.

Hi im Alex lets see if we can figure this out, can i have the last 8 of your vin please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
vh433495

ok thank you, ***** ***** problem you have now it that it will not crank with the key, correct

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No,It turn over NOT with the key, replace switch Can jump at starter but will not crank. Replace switch, and diesel regulator.

have you checked for power at the "s" terminal that the starter when you turn the key to start

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no

use a test light or a head light to test so you have a load on the circuit

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My battery is low, Charging But the lights didn't come on.

so you have no power at the signal wire at the starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got lights. Switch wasn't all the way on .Now Lights doesn't dim when cranking, Ps Will not turn over with the key? Can jump at starter, but will not START.

so have you checked for power at the small wire on the starter solenoid?

here is the starting system wiring diagram for your truck

did you figure any thing out on this? need any more assistance? i am an independent contractor and i do not get paid until i receive a rating of 3 stars or higher, if you have any more follow up questions please ask as they are free of charge with your positive rating, thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ps I got to sit in the Dr Office half a day/

ok no problem just let me know if or when you need more help

you get any where on this yet?

i would like to get this closed out do you need any more help on this? i f not please rate me and i will close it out, if you do still need help rate me and then comment and i will keep it open for further assistance, i will give you a second question free of charge with a rating of 5 stars. thank you

need any more help with this? like to get this closed out before month end