Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks

We've done the autoshift 18 speed conversion to a manual 18

Customer Question

We've done the autoshift 18 speed conversion to a manual 18 speed trans in my T800. And now we have some bugs to work out of it. We can't start the truck with KEY, but can jump the starter to start the engine. We also lost the speedometer in the dash. We need help to figure out these two problems. Oh , we already flashed the computer for the swap and still get check light and get derated
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Alex Olsen replied 18 days ago.

Hi im Alex, i have never done a conversion and don't usually work on kenworth but all manufactures use pretty much the same setup. As far as the speedo goes it sounds like you are on the right track, i know you will have to hard wire VSS direct to ECM, and also have to change sensor type in ECM to magnetic. As far as the key starting, there should be a start enable relay that would normally receive a signal form the TCM saying it was in neutral. Ignition power should come in to this relay on pin 30 of the relay, you should be able to just jump that to pin 87 and then it should start with the key where are you getting the codes form the ECM? hope this helps

Expert:  Alex Olsen replied 15 days ago.

do you need any help with this?

Expert:  Alex Olsen replied 13 days ago.

I am an independent contractor and i do not receive any compensation until you rate my service, if you would rate me with a positive rating of 3 starts or more that would be much appreciated. any follow up questions are free so just ask, thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the speedometers back. We had wired the wrong pins on the plug. Got it corrected. And for the ignition, we bypassed the starter interrupt behind the switch. So far the truck is back to normal besides having a stick in it now.
Expert:  Alex Olsen replied 11 days ago.

Ok great