Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I HAVE 2005 VOLVO WITH D12 ENGINE. IT ONLY HAS EXHAUST BRAKE

Customer Question

I HAVE 2005 VOLVO WITH D12 ENGINE. IT ONLY HAS EXHAUST BRAKE AND NO ENGINE BRAKE.WHAT IT IS DOING IS AFTER 5 MINUTES OF START UP IT START CHOKING IT SELF OUT AND THEN COMING BACK TO IDLE OVER AND OVER. THE EPG IS IS OPENING AND CLOSING. PLUGED UP PTT AND COMMANDED 30% AND CHOKED THE TRUCK UNTIL IT DIED. I REPLACED AIR VALVE ON DRIVER SIDE BLOCK AND IT DID THE SAME THING. IS IT POSSIBLE IT IS THE EXHAUST BRAKE IN THE TURBO PIPE
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: ITS A VOLVO TRUCK
JA: What is the model of your '05 Volvo?
Customer: VN
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I JUST TOLD YOU
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

This for some reason is posted in the wrong category and no one moved it.

To answer your question, yes the issue very much sounds like the exhaust brake is acting up and causing your issues. Sounds like the valve is either stuck and causing too much back pressure or the valve is closing as the exhaust gets hotter and hotter causing the choke out.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

I see you viewed this with no response or positive rating given, therefore the question is still showing as an open question.

Did you still need assistance? Were you able to understand the information I provided above? If you need help, I'm willing to assist more. I just don't want the question to time out due to no reply when help is still needed. If no help is needed, you can reply that as well that you are satisfied with the response and I can then know that this question is resolved for right now.

Thanks!