Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

I'm replacing rotors on 2001 f550. Seems straightforward but

Customer Question

I'm replacing rotors on 2001 f550. Seems straightforward but i am having difficulty loosening the upper caliper hanging bolt. there is narrow clearance with the leaf spring and a stud protrudes from the back side of the bolt for attaching the stone guard. there must be a specialized tool or trick. The bolt is 24mm. penetrating oil, tapping with hammer has not worker. The bot***** *****ger bolt came off with 3/4 breaker bar. Impact or breaker will not fit. Any suggestions?
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: It is rear brakes by the way. 65,000miles. brakes are original.
JA: Are you fixing your F550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I have tried strength but failed. I have applied penetrating oil liberally. I have tapped with hammer to try to break corrosion. I applied heat gun but perhaps not hot enough. I cannot get a larger enough tool in the space between the bolt/stud and the leaf spring.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
There was blue thread locker on the lower hanger bolt. my internet search revealed the the bolt is tightened to 295 lb-ft. Perhaps not a reliable source but the 3/4 breaker effort leads me to believe it.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
A gear wrench type pass through ratchet solution was one thought I had but there is not likely enough leverage. I can get a cheater bar on though. I will probably ruin the ratchet. They are not cheap.
Expert:  roybelding replied 22 days ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

did you try turning the front wheels so you can gain better access to the bolt???