Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Second opinion] - shutting off while driving, 2003 chevy

Customer Question

Second opinion] - shutting off while driving
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 chevy c4500
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fuel filter
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: same start always been a gas hog just shuts off while running
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: guess not
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

When it shuts off while driving, will it restart immediately or does it need to sit for a bit before it will restart?

And does this have the 8.1L gas engine or the duramax diesel engine?

Please remember that I am not there to inspect it and therefore rely on you for as much information as possible

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
immediately and it is 8.1gas
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

Ok, when it cuts off but restarts immediately, it is usually the crankshaft position sensor, even when there is no check engine light and fault code for it. The signal is cutting out and when you cycle the key to restart it, it resets the sensor essentially.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.Thank you.