Doug Barnowski
Doug Barnowski,
Experience:  HD Truck Mechanic at VIP Truck Center, LLC
96216703

I truly don't think this is a question which can be answered

Customer Question

I truly don't think this is a question which can be answered without more in depth diagnostics. but here I go (the short version) I bought another truck, 2003 379x Pete, C15, 6NZ, 18 speed
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 18 months ago, a 4 year warrantied CAT platinum rebuild by prior owner. Rad, air to air, turbo, injectors, the whole kitchen sink. I bought it, hooked a loaded trailer to it before paying and drove it like I stole it, 138,900 lbs , foot to floor and climbed serious grades. Smooth as can be, lots of engine warranty, new tranny of 1 year, new clutch of 1 year old also, new levelling valve on truck, new driveline u joints, hanger bearings, new everything but tires were worn down.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Paid for the truck, left it at sellers country setting down home shop for a wet line install. Properly shimmed (good lash) and right fuel tank split for hydraulic oil in one side, fresh tune up (full service; all fuel, oil, air filters etc) Last Sunday night, bobtail my new ride home (one hr) Monday Sept 26th I head north with empty trailer (60,000lb empty weight) and noticed vibration, not in seat, on dash, steering wheel and front of truck. Stopped and called Peterbilt height specs (8"-8 1/2" center of rear drive axle to bottom of frame) it was at 10" + so set it as should be and hauled ass.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Got loaded and the vibration/ shudder/ was thought to be able to take crank out. I spent 6+ hrs with CAT tech going up and down grades and 89 klm of Canadian highway. Cut out tests show zip, u joints and hanger = great, motor mounts not new but zero movement. Fuel filters I cut open after dumping fuel in a clear zip loc bag, all good. Put 10 new tires on, still horrendous. Took slack out of clutch pedal with my foot on return of this issue so bad that I just took my only truck off the road
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Doug Barnowski replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** will assist you today,

How about steer wheel bearings, or driveshaft phasing? I'm not sure of the Pete's correct driveshaft phase. Just an idea which would shake the windshield out of the cab. Also a loose yoke will vibrate pretty good also. How about a broken radius spring that would misaligned the drive axle.

Hope it helps and please rate my help for today.

Thank you,

Doug

Expert:  joseph-cssm replied 2 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/medium-and-heavy-truck/9xxul-truly-don-t-think-question-answered.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Doug Barnowski replied 1 month ago.

I didn't OPT OUT.