Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2000 freightliner with a 60 series running rough

Customer Question

I have a 2000 freightliner with a 60 series running rough scanned codes and got a couple codes one is code 4 for injector 4 other is 214 ecu back up battery not sure what this one is. used another scanner and all codes came up was inj 6 and ecu rtc
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

The backup battery is the battery that is inside the ECM itself. The ECM has a battery to keep the memory alive so you don't lose programming in the ECM for the truck to run properly.

When you get that code, the ECM needs to be sent out so the information can be transferred off of it, the battery changed, then the information put back onto it.

A few Freightliner shops can do it in-house, but there are many that can't or won't because a clean room is needed to do it. Iv'e tried changing one once and ended up bricking the ECM, then had to program the ECM of the main server with the as-built data. They are tricky to do, but can be done if you have full programming capability.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
why am I getting different injector numbers from different readers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would the ecu thing be causing this issue with inj
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I'm not sure on that. I don't use any other readers other than Jpro and DDDR with a Nexiq adapter. A lot of the other readers will give wrong codes or change the numbers.

The internal issue of the ECM can also change the injector number issue because the issue is not the injector, but the injector driver in the ECM itself.

Yes, the internal battery will certainly cause injector issues. It isn't holding the proper programming information and the injector drivers in the ECM (aka large chips with cpacitors in them) and it will cause misfires of the injectors. It will get to the point that each time you turn the key on, a different injector will show bad. I've had techs in my shop that have changed out the whole engine's injectors and ended up being the ECM battery.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you think I should change ecu
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would you change ecm
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I would send the ECM out and have the battery changed. I would do that at a minimum for the battery changed only costs the service for that and the battery, which is just shy of $350 versus $1500 for a new ECM. Now if they find during them testing it that the ECM has issues, then I would change the ECM out.

Here is what I use and they can have it done in 24 hours. CLICK HERE They will overnight it to them, swap the battery or make the needed repairs, program, and overnight it back. So if you sent it out tnoight or tomorrow, you should have it back by Wed.

This is another company I use. CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a ddec3 is that basicly same thing
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

Yes, it has the battery inside of it as well.

The DDEC III is cheaper to do.