spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

1995 cummins n14, i have no power heavy black smoke and

Customer Question

1995 cummins n14, i have no power heavy black smoke and cylinder 4,5,6 are significantly colder on exhaust manifold
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 months ago.

Is check engine light on?

Any codes? you can pull codes using cruise switches if you don't know how let me know

Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a three digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released.
The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order
to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify
the second digit of the flash code, then the third
Any additional flash codes will follow after a longer pause.
It will keep repeating codes until you turn off key.
Any questions just let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
check engine light is not on

Thanks for info Gary,

This sounds like you may have a cracked injector tip then,

pull valve covers and short out each injector by putting a chisel between rocker arm and housing to hold injector down, when you get to a bad injector smoke should go away, you can also use a 6-12" extension and socket on rocker arm to hold down, just be careful around wiring

With a cracked tip disconnecting wiring on injectors won't have any affect on sound

Please take the time to reply/Rate me with stars at top of page so I get credit from the site for my time..
Thank You!.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for the slow response, truck is at different location so it requires an hour drive, cylinders 4, 5 , and 6 are absolutely not firing, i hooked my modus scanner to it and i'm getting inactive codes for injector 1,3,4,5,6 stating circuit voltage low or open circuit. when i attempt to hold the injectors down it does not seem to make any difference. Is it possible to lose 3 injectors at once ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also the owner states that the fuel filter had large amounts of water in it.

Are those the same injectors you disconnected to test each cylinder? if so that is why they are logged codes

Check the injector wiring harness where it goes through rocker housing that is a known problem area

also check under valve cover harness for chafing

If a lot of water went through this fuel system the injectors are junk

I still think you have a bad injector

to confirm a injector issue pull exhaust manifold to see what injector is blowing all that smoke

you need to replace injectors