Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs

I'm working on a 99 international 4700 with a dt466e. It

Customer Question

I'm working on a 99 international 4700 with a dt466e. It starts great and idles fine. It runs good, but will intermittently die usually under acceleration. When it does it will belch white smoke and sometimes backfire. If you press the accelerator, it smokes a lot. It stops if you let off the accelerator. If you clutch it and let the engine stop, it will immediately restart and run fine for a short period and then do the same thing.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 28 days ago.

Hi there ! My name is Andy ! Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ? Also , can you tell me if there are any faults ? Warn Engine light on ?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Don't have the VIN handy. No fault codes. ICP is good.
Expert:  Andy replied 28 days ago.

Have you checked the IPR valve to make sure it is tight on the pump ? ALso please check its connector to be sure it is clean and secure and the terminals are not spread .

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Yeah. That looks good and when it quits running, ICP doesn't fall.
Expert:  Andy replied 28 days ago.

Have you tried wiggle testing harness while running engine to pinpoint where in the harness the problem may be? And have you checked the fuses in the battery box ? Make sure they are tight in their holders and clean

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have tried wiggling harness. I checked the plugs on the Ecm and I checked fuses. It really doesn't act like an electrical issue because all the items in the datastream stay active. Got me stumped.
Expert:  Andy replied 28 days ago.

Ok what about at the starter area ? There is a power connector down there . A two or three wire connector that powers ecm . The terminals may be damaged or spread there . I have seen this lots as i work for a dealer .

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I'll check there in the am.
Expert:  Andy replied 28 days ago.

Expert:  Andy replied 27 days ago.

Wait a minute ! I just noticed you replaced a cam sensor! Correct ? Has the problem started since this cam sensor ? The cam sensor needs to be properly gapped on these engines . They must be installed at the proper depth using shims for it to work properly o these symptoms will occur. I will look up the procedure .

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok. The one I took out didn't have any shims, and the one I put in didn't come with any.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I checked wires by starter this morning, and it died as I moved the wires around. The two terminal plug that is there with the big red and white wire had a lot of corrosion. I replace
The plug and now have good connection there and I also checked in the battery box. The fuse is clean and both plugs are good and clean. Shaking the wiring no longer makes it cut off. I drove the truck and it still does the same thing.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Also have 2 inactive codes. 102 Boost pressure id4 below normal or shorted low inactive
254 controller #1id8 abnormal frequency, pulse width or period.
Expert:  Andy replied 27 days ago.

So when you press o fuel pedal , and it climbs in rpm , once it reaches a specific rpm , it starts misfiring right ?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No. it never misses. It just completely cuts off. Not like the power got killed to the Ecm, but like the fuel got turned off. The funny thing is say you're going 60 mph in 7th gear. Plenty of power running great then all a sudden there is no power and tons of white smoke coming out the exhaust. If you let off the pedal,the smoke goes away press the pedal and tons of white smoke with no engine power. Only the road speed is keeping the engine turning. If you clutch it and let the engine stop turning completely, you can immediately re crank it. It never misses runs rough or anything just all of a sudden it goes crazy. Doesn't seem to be tied to a certain rpm, speed, or anything else. I also tried bypassing the whole fuel system with an electric pump and it did the same thing.
Expert:  Andy replied 27 days ago.

I would suspect the ecm relay or main power to the ecm from the batteries . I know you have checked some parts of that circuit already but 254 is a faut for the ecm . It must be losing power still somewhere . Check all connectors along the way from the batteries all the way up to the ecm . Swap relays if possible and try again . It may have faulty contacts .