Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2014 M2 Freightliner with a Cummins engine ISL, keeping

Customer Question

2014 M2 Freightliner with a Cummins engine ISL, keeping getting check engine lights with the only code 3582. Have tested the DEF pump, the doser valve and cleaned the decomposition tube. Ran the SCR performance and the rear NOx sensor passed, but the SCR failed the test. Any ideas? Bake out the SCR? We have about 10 of these 2014's and they are all doing it. The 2013's and 2015's are ok, not doing it...
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** with me while I pull up your fault code.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

• Malfunctioning diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) dosing system
  • Exhaust system leaks
  • Malfunctioning SCR catalyst
  • Degraded, diluted, or incorrect DEF
  • Diesel exhaust fluid deposits in decomposition tube.

CODEREASONEFFECT

Fault Code: 3582
PID:
SPN: 4364
FMI: 18
LAMP: Amber
SRT:

Aftertreatment SCR Catalyst Conversion Efficiency - Data Valid But Below Normal Operating Range - Moderately Severe Level. NOx conversion across the SCR catalyst is too low.

None on performance.

If none of the above are found as a cause have the software updated and check for the most current software updates. Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Our laptop will not download the lastest update for the ECM. Have you seen this code before? If so, what did you find?

Only Cummins authorized dealers will be allowed access to the updates so you will have to bring it to a dealer for the updates.

Should be a flat fee for reflash and updates.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have you had to troubleshoot this code before?

Hi Steve, I posted the potential causes of this code. I have a shop and have yet to have anything get turned away unfixed. In cases where a module needs to get sent out for a reflash I do so. However before doing that I eliminate all other possible causes. So lets start with this list below. Let me know the status of your checks for one of the ten trucks since it may or may not be the same reason for this fault on all ten trucks. If the below potentials are 100% ruled out not the cause then go for the software update. This is all part of troubleshooting this fault. Let me know your test results for each of the below.

• Exhaust system leaks
  • Malfunctioning SCR catalyst
  • Degraded, diluted, or incorrect DEF
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tested the dosing system and it passed. The NOx sensor rationality test passed. The SCR catalyst test failed, that's what I'm asking you about. What would cause the SCR to fail?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The def fluid is good, not contaminated.

Thanks for the update. Excessive soot or carbon buildup, leaks/restrictions will cause the SCR to fail.