Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

My truck is shutting down this is what is happening when I

Customer Question

my truck is shutting down this is what is happening when I start the truck when it idle for about 5 to 10 mins check engine light come on and engine protect light come on then Truck will shut down...even if I have the shut down overide. Push down and hold it...
Note...
If I start the truck and let it sit push the shutdown override and idling check engine light will come on and engine protect will come on but it won't shut down....but if I move it then it will shut down and if I wait for about 20 mins start it it will run right down I see ICU 140 it's frightliner columbia 09 with Detroit motor
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Model CL120064 T
Vin.....IFUJA6CK49LZ96229
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Engine number 06R0999690
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

The ICU 140 is the instrument cluster identifier. There should be a SID and FMI code behind it.

Do you have a laprop with Detroit software to read the shutdown code? If not, then check the fluid levels and make sure the coolant isn't getting too low in the reservoir, the oil pressure isn't reading low, the oil level isn't low. These are the things that will cause the engine to shut down.

Another item that will cause the engine to shut down like yours is doing is if the regen light is flashing. That indicates the dpf filter is plugged and needs to be serviced.

The downside in this situation is a laptop wit hthe Detroit software is needed to diagnose this since there are no 128 codes on the dash. You can try to obtain the flash codes and see what is going on that way. Turn the key on with the engine off, then hold the shutdown button in and the check engine light will start flashing. It will do it in a 2 digit sequence then it will flash the red light in a 2 digit sequence. Count the short flashes then you will get a medium pause and then count the shot flashes again. That is the first code. You will have a long pause in between the codes. When it starts flashing, you'll get the idea of how the sequence is doing. If you can get those flash codes, it can usually tell us what he engine is doing without the computer.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy