Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Howdy. 1999 freightliner century classic. 12.7 detroit

Customer Question

Hey. Howdy. 1999 freightliner century classic. 12.7 detroit diesel. Series 60. No speedometer at this time. Some time is intermitent the issue. New speed sensor in the transmission and same problem.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: No speedometer. No cruise controL.
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. By myself. No speed signal in my dash. And sometimes it comes and go very very fast intermitent timea.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** will ba glad to try to help. Check the VSS Vehicle speed sensor on the rear of the transmission and the wiring for corrosion or damage. Most commonly it is a faulty sensor but check the wiring first. When installing a new sensor, thread in hand tight to just when the sensor lightly bottoms out and then back it off 1/2 to 3/4 turn and lock the jam nut. Let me know if we need to dig deeper into this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea mr Wilson. I already did that and the problem is the still the same. No solution. Im also put a new speed sensor in the transmission.

Thanks for the update. Are there any fault codes logged in the ECM? Have you had the DDEC software connected to read live data for switch status and parameters? If the ECM is getting speed signal along with the speedo head itself, there can be a problem with the gauge. But that would not affect the cruise control.