go-west.., Technician
Experience:  Technican with 20 years experience focused on engines and electrical.

I got a 2010 Freightliner Cascadia with DD15 in it. VIN

Customer Question

Hi, I got a 2010 Freightliner Cascadia with DD15 in it. VIN **AS4674
We have a problem of coolant loss, up to a gallon in 2-3 days, no visible leaks. Same time there is a Regeneration issue. Truck requesting parked regen every 500-600 mi, and those generations lasting up to 2 hrs now. Driving perfomance is not affected. Truck just had DPF cleaning done, temp sensor and clamp on DPF replaced, and had an overhaul done. All gaskets/liners/bearings are brand new,etc. Codes for DPF are as follows:
3719/16 Soot level high
3719/31 DPF zone 2 condition
3719/15 Dpf zone 3 condition
1037/15 HC absorbed warning
3556/1 Regen temp out of range low
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  go-west.. replied 1 month ago.
Good afternoon
Have you checked the egr cooler yet?
Pull off the outlet , exhaust side and inspect, let me know what you find. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, didnt check yet. It might be leaking. But why Regen issues? Im thinking EGR stuck open? That would explain cooland boil off and not being able to reach temp necessary to regen?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also why regen so often? 509-600 mi between parked regens
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If EGR cooler is bad, is this damaging to engine or DPF system to drive it like that? I gotta bring truck home, about 2k miles?
Expert:  go-west.. replied 1 month ago.
If the engine is burning the coolant then it will, the coolant will plug up the aftertreatment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You r not really answering a question. The main thing that concerns me is Regen issue. Its been requiring parked regen every 500-600mi before using any coolant. Do you think EGR cooler might be a reason for regen problems, or its most likely whole separate thing? I need to find a reason for DPF issue.
Expert:  go-west.. replied 1 month ago.
Got it
It sounded like that the regen issue and the coolant problem all were all happening at the same time, the fact that the coolant is dropping with no external leak worries me because if the engine is burning the coolant it will basically poison the aftertreatment.Now with the consistent regens usually means the doc catalysts are plugged or the dpfs.
Has the dpfs ever been replaced or the doc's cleaned it might be time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
DPF has just been cleaned, like 5 k miles ago. Temp sensor on DPF replaced, new clamp put in, ash cam "zoroed" twice.
Expert:  go-west.. replied 1 month ago.
I hate to be the one that has the bad news but if the dpfs or doc's get clogged because of time or excessive idle they will cause excessive regens,
Here's how it works, the doc's are designed to burn left over burn fuel as if leaves the engine or hydro carbons, if they fail to do that then the dpfs get plugged prematurely with soot thus the frequent regens I noticed to that you have the absorption code, to fix that you need parameter called auto elevate enabled, that will rid you off that code, if you want more info on that code let me know and I'll shoot a document on it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, but prematurely clogged after 3-4k miles since cleaning???? ( Dealer cleaning- filter baked for 24 hours and ultrasonic clean after that) thats hard to believe.
Expert:  go-west.. replied 1 month ago.
Were the doc's inspected by chance when the dpfs were removed? If they are restricted they will cause the problem your experiencing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It wants parked regen frequently because temp is not reaching needed parameter to regen while driving( every 400-600mi normal operation, right?) so it fails to regen automatically, thus requesting "parked regen". Here is a reason for frequent regens. Now, why it struggles to teach needed temperature?
Expert:  go-west.. replied 1 month ago.

i want you to read this document for the 3556/1 code

at the bottom ( step 12 ) it says to do the doc face cleaning routine,thats telling us the doc's are plugging

sorry if im sounding like a broken record but the doc's will prevent the temps from coming up to