go-west..
go-west.., Technician
Experience:  Technican with 20 years experience focused on engines and electrical.
35815791

I have a 2006 Columbia chassis with a 450 Mercedes and smart

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2006 Columbia chassis with a 450 Mercedes and smart shift Eaton fuller trans with 34000 miles on it. I have had a couple of problems on my last couple of trips. It seems when we are going up a pass in hot weather the trans heat will get up to almost 270 Degrees. I was just getting ready to go down the other side of the pass and all of a sudden it could not find a gear the motor kept surging the RPM trying to find it but could not. I shut the motor down waited a few minutes tried again. It would go into first gear I would start to pull away and it would get to 5th gear but would not go. I repeated this about four times finally it started working. This has happened two times kind of scary. I have had it die when coming to a stop a couple of times as well it feels like to clutch is not disengaging. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: unit number N73662 serial #1FVAF0CV57LN73662
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Its a 2007 not 2006 sorry
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  go-west.. replied 3 months ago.

Good day

lets start by checking for fault codes

Engine off key on,with the key go off on off on and tell me the number that comes up

then turn off for 20 seconds

key on go off on off on off on off on and tell me the number that comes up in the shift display

TY

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will need to go to the truck which is at home I will get you that info shortly
OK
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are the codes On the odometer 2_0.9
On the gear display 88 comes up first followed by 37-75-72 the last three keep on rotating 88 only comes up once
OK
The 37 if it came up first is the most recent.
Its for power supply.
There been any work on the batteries or electrical lately?
If not, please take a picture of the batteries, I would like to see how they look.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had the batteries replaced at freightliner les than a year ago all 4 of them. That is what they said was causing this problem did not help!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the 88 came up first followed by 37 75 72
88 is for display test
Go to the batteries and you will find a fuse holder with a 30 amp fuse , that's for transmission power, make sure in clean and has a snug fit also all the other connections, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok what other connections just on the battery or some where else?
The ignition fuse which is the cab fuse panel infront on the passenger, make sure it's tight
It's the OK the outside oem harness from the fire wall has always had a history of corroding ontop of the transmission
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the only fuse holder going to the batteries is a 52 amp fuse, how do I identify the oem wiring harness you are talking about on the fire wall
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you get my last post
Expert:  go-west.. replied 2 months ago.

sorry for the delay

there are 3 harness coming through the firewall behind the air cleaner the one farest in will have the transmission wiring in it that goes over the transmission

have a look

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qp1wmw7kxqusmo/tcu%20eaton.pdf?dl=0

as for the tcu 30 amp fuse,please take a picture of the batteries for me,it should be in there

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks

Let me know how you do

Good morning

haven't heard from you,
How did it go ??