Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Thank you. I am working working on a new holland l160 skid

Customer Question

thank you. I am working working on a new holland l160 skid steer. The starter cranks but labors to turn more than a little the starter seliniod clicks several times and then there is no crank. There is full voltage at the large post at the seliniod. I am unable to turn it over at this point and chech the other post for voltage. Could the starter crank some and still be faulty or is this a seliniod problem. Note when I stated the repair there was a short that sent the ignition console lights fluttering and no turn over at starter. Removed main lead to starter at mount cleaned contact and the short stoped and I am where we are now.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: The battery is not at full charge holding at 10.37 v on meter contacts are clean so I have been working with jump cables from running truck giving me 14.7 v at the post and battery off the truck alternator
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Are you jumping through the battery? Try jumping at the starter solenoid, if battery has bad cell, you can't jump through it. And with voltage at 10.37, you may have a bad battery.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Positive on the large seliniod post and negative on batter ground ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Same result. Seliniod click a turn over and then a pause , an attempt to turn over with panel lights substantially dim , then nothing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

How much trouble is it to install you truck battery and try it. I still think it is battery voltage,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm Getting 3-4 volts output on the other large post when I attempt to crank. This would mean a faulty seliniod, yes?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Without the boom up the oversized battery is near impossible to remove. The output on the ignition relay should be at the level of the input should it not?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for late reply, Had to take wife to Dr. what is battery voltage in, to have 3-4 volts out? The output of the relay/solenoid should be the starter motor.