Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.

I'm hoping you can help me. I just bought an old 1976 L35

Customer Question

I'm hoping you can help me. I just bought an old 1976 L35 New Holland skid steer. It has a rebuilt engine & sounds good. It has a rebuilt hydro pump as well as new gears to each motor. It was flushed well & put back together. I'm hoping to catch any debris left over by changing hydro filter often. My question is, I'm unfamiliar w skid seems very loud when I idle up around the seat area. Everything works, forward, reverse, up & down. I wondering if that's normal to be that loud while parked & throttled up? Should I get checked out before I start using or use until it breaks? Thanks
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Is it exhaust noise from pipes and muffler? Or other type noise? If it is the exhaust, it is up to you , it won't hurt anything but your ears! If it is hydraulic or gear noise you may want to have it looked at. This old unit will be much loader than newer units ,as there was no sound proofing between engine and cockpit!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a lawn service & use zero turn mowers a lot, so I'm used to the whiny sound of hydros but this is like a loud rattle coming from somewhere around the seat. I thought maybe the same about it being old & louder. Just wondering what mechanism would be making noise like that. Is there a operational test you think I can do to see if all is functioning properly?

Does it make it sitting still, or do you have to be driving it? If it does it sitting, then run it with seat out and see where the noise originates,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
K I'll do that tomorrow & get back w you. It was doing the same noise whether driving or sitting still when idled all the way up. When I idle down noise goes away. I'll try to pinpoint location tomorrow.

May be from the gear box, or the drive to it. See the link below.