Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs

2012 maxforce ,egr over temp. code. 1 year ago ger and

Customer Question

2012 maxforce ,egr over temp. code. 1 year ago ger and cooler were replaced. pulled egr and cooler looks ok
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: engine lite comes on, code for egr overtemp. truck unloaded and on flat ground.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i can think of .
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Also , I need the exact fault number you are dealing with please ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Codes spn 27 fmi 0 vin# *****
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Thanks .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't do Skype out in the field
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me if you have any other faults in memory ? Even inactive ones ?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Im looking to see if you have spn 1173 fmi 16 ?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

This may be a fault associated with this issue

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No codes other than the one,I pulled cooler and egr valve,noticed butterflies aren't completely round,I don't know if they are supposed to be like that. I figured you shouldn't let any exhaust gas in only when egr is requested
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

If this fault is not in memory , then :

1. Inspect for restrictions and debris in front of and between radiators and other cooling package components.

2. Inspect cooling fan blades, fan shroud, accessory drive belt(s), drive belt tensioner(s), cooling package, and other cooling system components for damage.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

If no restrictions are found in front or between the rads and other cooling packages , then we need to perform Engine Fan Tests and determine engine cooling fan’s capability to maintain desired speeds.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

If the engine fan is able to maintain desired speeds requested by ECM , then we need to run engine at high idle for 20 seconds. Use laptop with ServiceMaxx™ software, compare TC2CIT temperature value with Engine Coolant Temperature 2 (ECT2). Is TC2CIT within 27°F (15°C) of ECT2?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

If that is found to be wihin spec , then perform coolant control valve test in servicemaxx.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

There is more diag to follow if all of this checks out ... please let me know once you have reached this point if further help is needed . Thanks and please do not forget to rate my service to you . Feedback is important ...

Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

Hi there . Just checking in ! How did you make out with the first part of the troubleshooting steps I sent you ? Do you need more steps to continue further ? What have you found ?