Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs
30303843

2007 freightliner columbia ac quit working. Ac clutch won't

Customer Question

2007 freightliner columbia ac quit working. Ac clutch won't engage unless I jump it
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Checked all fuses and relays and replaced binary switches bit nothing still
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Snowflake light in dash stays on regardless if I press button to turn off. Replaced aluminum lines, both expansion valves, dryer, compressor and clutch last year. Replaced binary switches today.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Andy ! Would a wiring diagram help you ?

Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

If so , then i would need the full 17 digit vin number please ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just added three cans of freon within the last two days after replacing binary switches. I just probed low side thinking it might be overcharged and it was empty
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

Oh oK . Then we need to pressure test the system using nitrogen at 300 psi and check for leaks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have that nor did I see any signs of freon evaporating
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

You need to be able to raise the pressure inside the system everywhere in order to be able to find any leak. Nitrogen at 300 psi is a good way . Another way you can try and locate a leak is to fill system back up to spec with some dye injected into system . Then run systme for awhile like 1 hr , and then check for leaks with a UV light and yellow glasses .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Great I'll do that. Was looking hard between clutch and compressor and think it might be slightly moist. Gonna confirm with dye.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

Do you see any other wet spots around condenser area or any lines in the system ? Around switches or sensors ? Any connection points ? These would all be signs of a leak.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No signs whatsoever. Was working fine while driving. Quit working suddenly last Friday. Gonna check with dye to detect leak.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

Ok ... Good luck ! I hope it works out for you . Please do not forget to rate my service to you at the end of this session . Feedback is important and bonus is greatly appreciated . Thank you for your question !

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No problem
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

Thank you . Have a great day !

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You too. Will get back to you tomorrow.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Andy replied 3 months ago.

Hi there ! It's been a few days ! How have you made out with the AC problem ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've left it alone but think it might be a hose.