Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Working on a 1993 KW with an N14 cummins VIN

Customer Question

working on a 1993 KW with an N14 cummins VIN 1XKDD69X2PJ581471 wont start need to pin test ECM can you help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I wil help you with this

go to this site click here

I hope this helped you

Hi. If this helped you,

please remember to rate my answer 3 or more stars.

If more info is needed, use the reply button -

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

Just a follow up with you

di d my answer help you

let me know,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is not the right one.... But we figured it out last night... Got truck running... But cuts off then won't start ... disconnect the harness going through firewall truck will run, stay running and restart until we rebook harness getting a 4-3-1 flash code
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

I do not have flash codes info,

I will opt-out, for another expert to help you

Sorry I could not help

Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. That fault is for your Idle validation switch as part of the throttle pedal assembly. Bare with me as I pull up some more info for you on this code.

The idle validation switch is used by the Electronic Control Module (ECM) to indicate when the accelerator pedal is released (on-idle) or depressed (off-idle). The switch is adjusted at the factory to switch from on-idle to off-idle at the correct accelerator pedal position

This fault code is usually caused by a loose connection, an accelerator pedal that is not calibrated,a failed pedal assembly or Throttle position sensor.

If all wiring and sensor checks are good, replace the idle validation switch circuit wires, between the accelerator pedal and ECM, with new wires. Run the wires through or around the bulkhead without using the bulkhead connector. Test the truck with the test wires in place. If the fault clears, replace the OEM harness.

Verify that the three idle validation switch circuit wires are twisted together.

The ECM and accelerator pedal assembly must be electrically calibrated to each other for proper engine response.

The ECM and accelerator pedal assembly must be calibrated when an accelerator pedal is initially installed, replaced, when an ECM is replaced, when a new calibration is downloaded to the ECM, and when the accelerator pedal wiring is disconnected while the vehicle keyswitch "ON".

With keyswitch "ON", gradually push the accelerator to the floor and release. Depress and release the accelerator pedal three times. This procedure will recalibrate the ECM and accelerator pedal.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will this cause the truck to cut off and/or not start

It is possible.... But there are other potential causes as well such as a faulty engine position sensor or harness, loss of power to the ECM or fuel shutoff solenoid, fuel supply problem, etc

Click this link for the ECM pinouts.

Correct that fault first since there is a code.... also low coolant will cause a start then shutdown after running a few minutes but normally will throw a low coolant code.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checked all those,, sometimes I get power to pin 10 ( key switch) sometimes and it will start... Then when you cycle key you lose it... Even if I jump across power supply it won't start

thanks for the info. Id run through your ECm powers and grounds and switched powers again and see if any are dropping off.... Also to the shutoff.... If theres power to the shutoff and the ECM is getting EPS signal and you have good fuel pressure the engine should start.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just had it running,, don't know what we did,, ran for 20 minutes, cut it off,, restarted three times,, walked away and lost key switch power while we were gone, now won't start again

Thanks for the update. test and monitor ECM switched power and the power from the key switch and relays for a possible faulty key switch if the wiring harness tests out okay and there is no corroded or damaged connector pins or wiring. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
checked and rechecked everything... the truck will run for 10 to 15 minutes, then start missing then shut down... we lose the key switched power coming out of the ECM,,, wait ten minutes to an hour then it comes back on and truck will start,, tried running hot wire straight to fuel shutoff while running, and jumping across the data link wire, nothing works
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this truck has some weird two prong data connector to communicate with truck,, that no one has!!! i ordered one thru snap on for my PRO LINK reader I have,,,

If you have no power to the fuel shutoff and no fault codes logged, try reflashing or updating the ECM software or try a test ECM if available. Also check engine speed signal from the EPS sensor. It sounds like a faulty ECM and injector drive3rs in the ECM. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Finally got the connector and power gate cable for my pro link... The only active code I get is pid 190 fmi 10... But as I was in the process of clearing stored codes lost output power at ECM again,, could still read codes and when I cranked motor could read engine speed,,, replaced cam shaft position sensor...still wouldn't start

P190 is for loss of engine speed signal. If the sensor is new then check the wiring harness and connector pins between the sensor and ECM for corrosion or damage. Try a test ECM or have yours bench tested and reflashed.

Fault Code: 115
PID: P190
SPN: 190
FMI: 2

LAMP: Yellow

No engine speed signal detected at pin 17 of the engine harness.

Engine power derate. Possible white smoke.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Had the ECM bench tested... Came back good as far as bench test goes...they also said active pid 190 fmi 10 code... Looks like on this ECM pin 17 is for coolant,, EPS is 01 green return 1, 15 white signal 1,, 11 black return 2,, 14 red signal 2....
Hook it up, engine tries to start but just knocks, then codes Sid 251 fmi 4 and sid 1, 2 & 4 fmi 5..... Checked pins 26, 23, 22, 21 & 20 all have 12.5 volts