Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on, Gmc, Macks, Freight liner,Mercedes Benz,,Ford, sterling
6825259

Could I get rocker shaft torque and valve adjustment

Customer Question

Could I get rocker shaft torque and valve adjustment procedure for Cummins ISM # 35174016?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

Rotate accessory drive clockwise until "A" valve set mark on accessory drive is lined up with pointer in gear cover, each clynder has 3 rockers long rocker is exhaust, center is injector, and short is intake. You will set valves and injector as follows A will be either #1 or #6 clynder, if the push tubes or rockers for valves can not be rotated or moved, check the other clynder. Adjust ment process is A- 1 or 6, B- 5 or 2, C- 3 or 4. you will need to rotate engine 2 full revolutions to adjust all clynders, also engine should be cold to begin process, Intake valve lash is .014, ex is .027. To set the injector Loosen Injector adj screw lock nut , use screwdriver or box wrench if you have jakes, bottom injector plunger 3 or 4 times to remove fuel ( do not use excessive force bottoming injector) on the last time bottoming plunger back out 2 flats or 120 degrees, hold adjusting screw and torque lock nut to 45fl lbs. While setting valves you will need to torque the lock nuts 45 ft lbs. After valves are torqued recheck lash settings, if screws chatter while adjusted , replace or repair and readjust.

I hope this helped you

Hi. If this helped you,

please remember to rate my answer 3 or more stars.

If more info is needed, use the reply button -

NOT THE POOR/BAD SERVIC

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks for that now all I need is the rocker shaft hold down bolt torque. Thanks
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.

Hi Sorry for the delay, site is having issues

could not get in

Tighten to 50 ft/lb,then back off all rocker shafts,then 22ft/lb plus 60 degrees which is one flat of a bolt

Hi. If this helped you,

NOT THE POOR/BAD SERVIC

Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.

Hi

Just a follow up with you

di d my answer help you

let me know,

Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.

HI

have not heard from you

did you get this issue resolved //