Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Having engine codes on 2010 Freightliner with cummins engine

Customer Question

Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What are the complete code numbers and the complete engine model ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
vin 1FVACXDT3AHA0468 eng ser 73071476 codes are spn102 fmi2 eng intake manifold #1 pressure. spn108 fmi2 baro spn3216 fmi20 aft 1 intake nox spn1569 fmi31 engine derate. Truck has lack of power up hills. have replaced nox sensor, baro, and intake sensor with no change.

The intake manifold pressure sensor monitors pressure in the intake manifold. This fault is set active when the intake manifold pressure is too high or low for the current engine operating conditions. The ECM compares the intake manifold pressure reading to turbocharger speed to determine if the pressure reading is valid.
The intake manifold pressure/temperature sensor is located in the air intake horn

Possible causes of this fault are:

• A malfunctioning intake manifold pressure sensor
  • A malfunctioning barometric pressure sensor.
  • Leaks in the air intake system between the turbocharger and intake manifold
  • Restriction in the charge-air cooler
  • A malfunctioning turbocharger speed sensor
  • Plugged or restricted exhaust system
  • A plugged intake manifold pressure sensor
  • Air filter restriction.

Fault Code: 2973
PID: P102
SPN: 102
FMI: 0/2
LAMP: Amber

Intake Manifold 1 Pressure - Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect. The ECM has detected an intake manifold pressure signal that is too high or low for present engine operating conditions.

click here SPN 108

Fault Code: 3748
SPN: 3216
FMI: 20
LAMP: Amber

Aftertreatment Intake NOx Sensor - Data Not Rational - Drifted High. An offset in the intake NOx sensor reading has been detected.

Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code

To validate the repair, start and operate the engine to raise exhaust temperatures. This can be done by either driving the vehicle or initiating a stationary regeneration using INSITE™ electronic service tool.
The DOC intake temperature at the aftertreatment intake NOx sensor must be above 200°C [392°F] before the sensor can perform its internal diagnostics.
The fault code status displayed by INSITE™ electronic service tool will change to INACTIVE immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes.
The ECM will turn OFF the amber CHECK ENGINE lamp after the diagnostic runs and passes.
For On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) engines, the ECM will turn OFF the MIL after three consecutive trips where the diagnostic runs and passes.
The "Reset All Faults" command in INSITE™ electronic service tool can be used to clear active and inactive faults, as well as extinguish the MIL for OBD applications.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

Malfunctioning aftertreatment intake NOx sensor
Improperly installed aftertreatment intake NOx sensor.
Installation of the sensor:
Apply a light coating of anti-seize compound to the threads of the NOx sensor.

torque to 37 ftlbs

Install the NOx sensor in to the after-treatment adapter pipe and tighten the retaining nut.
Be sure that the NOx sensor is connected to the engine wiring harness.

Be sure that the orientation of the small module is with the engine wiring harness connection located at the bottom of the sensor.

Be sure that the small module is secured to the application by the two mounting capscrews.
NOTE: The NOx sensor wire connection must not be pulled tight. Damage to the sensor can occur

this one is as you know an informational code stating the ECM has derated the engine power

Fault Code: 3714
PID: S115
SPN: 1569
FMI: 31
LAMP: Amber

Engine Protection Torque Derate - Condition Exists. Critical fault codes related to engine operation are active.

Immediate engine power derate

I see you replaced the sensors but I would also recheck the harness and connector pins for damage between the sensors and ECM plug. Also try to clear the faults and reset the ECM through Insite . Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dan, The baro sensor we have is a 4 wire can you provide wiring diagram for the 4 wire. our part number on this truck is(###) ###-#### on this sensor should there be ref. volts on 2 of the wires?

Let me know the complete engine model number as my schematics are by model. I do not have access to look up the model by engine serial number.