Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

We have a diesel RV with a Cat 330. We have replaced the

Customer Question

We have a diesel RV with a Cat 330. We have replaced the fuel filter but the engine won't start. We hvae tried to prime it by the key method but no luck
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine did started but quit after 30 seconds. Started it again but no luck. Pulled the filter and it was dry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: When we removed the old filter the filler holes were covered with black chunks of rubber like particles
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
It sounds like something may be restricting the fuel inlet line with the rubber particles you found.
I would try removing and inspecting the fuel inlet line first.
These engines are hard to prime after removing the fuel filter. It's best to have a hand primer pump installed. Most engines do not come with them. But there is a place for one. It's near the fuel inlet line at the front of the head. You'll see a small cap held on by two bolts. That's where the hand primer mounts.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.