Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My engine starts then shuts off within 3 seconds, 2012

Customer Question

my engine starts then shuts off within 3 seconds
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 2012 cascadia with a dd15
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just bought the truck used.. been asking for help ... not getting much I have a code reader
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have codes for 2 modules ( body controller ) and ( cab controller ) ... the errors are abnormal update rate
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
error codes are
SPN 527, SPN 973, SPN 2033, SPN 2049, SPN 3676I know the SPN 2033 is the body controller... and the 2049 is the cab controller
Can you help me locate the controllers on my truck?I have and SPN 625... it seems to be common there is a service bulletin on it from Detroit Diesel. did the procedure but could not find a problem. This code has to do with the Can communications.. ( delayed responses )
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a FCar diesel truck code reader and programmer.
It has the latest updates for the Freightliner Cascadia 2012
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

If you have not inspected for any damaged or corroded wiring leading from the control units/ecu's on your model here I would see if any issues are found.If any wiring or connection issues are found these will need repaired to locate and correct this fault here.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. 527 is missing datalink from the cruise control or no communication. Click this link for troubleshooting

Troubleshooting

SPN 973/FMI 2 - MY13

This diagnostic is typically Evobus 5-stage Retarder Level Position Not Plausible - Short to Power/Open Circuit on Pin 13 of

the Common Powertrain Controller (CPC4) #2 Connector.

For wiring schematic information refer to Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) literature.

NOTE:

The CPC4 digital outputs have the same SPN as some Motor Control Module (MCM2.1) faults. DDDL 7.X

makes the distinction between the MCM2.1 and CPC4 when diagnosing a fault.

SPN 2033/FMI 9 - GHG14

This diagnostic is typically J1939 Message is Missing from Source Address 33 (dec).

1.

Check for multiple codes:

a.

If Common Powertrain Controller (CPC4) SPN 168/FMI 0/14/18 (battery voltage) are present, troubleshoot these

first.

b.

If Motor Control Module (MCM2.1) SPN 625/FMI 9 is present, troubleshoot and repair the Controller Area Network

(CAN) line.

c.

If only a J1939 Error fault is present, Go to step 2.

2.

Has the CPC4 been recently reprogrammed?

a.

Yes; check the proper configuration of the CPC4.

b.

No; connect ServiceLink to determine which modules are configured for the vehicle and their communication status.

Once this is done, follow the appropriate module communication troubleshooting procedures for the affected

module.

SPN 2049/FMI 9 - MY13

This diagnostic is typically J1939 Message is Missing From Source Address 49 (dec).

1.

Check for multiple codes:

a.

first.

b.

(CAN) line.

c.

2.

a.

b.

module.

Double check the 3676 as my list skips over that one. Let me know if that is definitely correct befor I spend a lot of time trying to hunt it down.