Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I'm connecting a winch to my truck that is setup on a 24volt

Customer Question

I'm connecting a winch to my truck that is setup on a 24volt system. The winch is supposed to be on 12volt so I thought I would be able to connect to one battery and get 12volts. However, I connected the red cable to the positive of one battery and when I tried to connect negative cable to the negative of the same battery the wire started melting.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Are the batteries 12 volt? You might need to add a battery for isolation purposes. It could also be the wire used was not a thick enough gauge for the winch. If this happened with no use of the winch, that is different. In that case I would suggest looking for a 24 volt to 12 volt converter or send it back for a 24 volt winch.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The wire sparked as soon as it touched without use. The batteries are 12 volt. I know there is a way to use just one battery for 12 volts in the two 12 volt battery setup that I have. I have a converter for accessories that are used in acc mode, but for items that should have power at all times like flood lights, I ran a line from one of the positives and it works with the ground to the body. The winch however said to run the ground back to the battery which made it spark.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 10 months ago.

I would try a bod ground and running off the one battery to see what the result is.

I agree, you should be able to connect it to the battery and that is it. The only thing that would cause that to spark so quickly is if the winch was powered or if the motor was grounding in the winch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried testing the voltage and the + on the battery that is also the + for the 24 volt shows 24 volt whether I test against it's own - or the body or the - of the other battery (for the 24 volt setup). The other battery that has the - of the 24 volt setup give 12volt on its own + and -, but I'm running all the accessories on that one and wanted the winch to use the other free battery.