Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs

I have a problem with a 2005 international dt466. The engine

Customer Question

I have a problem with a 2005 international dt466.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine won't start. I put my lap top on and check icp pressure it is going between 10-3000psi. It is slow to build psi. I have installed new high pressure oil pump, new oil rail injector orings and pucks. I have also changed icp pressure senser.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: I can get it to start with either. And after it does start in ruins good. Also no fault codes
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hi there . My name is ***** ***** Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did you get my last answer?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Yes sorry about that .. I will look up and send the hard start sheet for troubleshooting as soon as i can

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is now 12hrs later and still don't have a answer. Going to be leaving feed back
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Sorry about the delay ! My bad ! I took the question while I was still at the dealership and was going to answer it as soon as I got home but then realized I had an appt after work too .

If once started with ether and then turned off , will it restart right away without ether ? This would tell us if this is a fuel drain back problem or an ICP problem !

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It will not restart. Slow to build ICP pressure. New pump,ICP senser and new oil rail pucks. After cranking for about 20sec I get 1000-2000 psi ICP pressure the injectors then start to click and after 10 more sec it starts to put out white smoke and kick but won't start. Engine rpm is 110-115 rpm.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

You are not meeting minimum cranking speed ! You need minimum 130 rpm cranking speed to build enough heat of compression to ignite the fuel spray in the combustion chambers . You're almost there ! Put charger on batteries and try again after a good charge .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Installed new starter and batteries . will now start but takes 40-50sec of cranking before it starts. Cranking over 135-140. Rpm. ECM volts during cranking is 10.9. Still stumbles before it starts and white fuel smoke during cranking. Is it possible the injectors are bad? How do I test them?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.
First of all , are there any codes in memory now ?
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.
You could be looking at egr not all the way closed at 0% on startup . Or intake heater not working at all .
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help ?