cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

ISX 871 replaced turbo, and now the engine brake is weak. No

Customer Question

ISX 871 replaced turbo, and now the engine brake is weak. No complaint of engine brake issue prior to turbo replacement.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 10 months ago.

What did you set the engine brake lash too?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
7mm

What is the engine serial number?On the turbo did you also replace the actuator or remove it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
replaced auctuator, it came with a new one

What is the engine serial number? Did you remove the actuator from the turbo for installation reasons?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We did remove the actuator after the unit returned for the weak jake complaint.
Engine SIN 79197607

Thanks, ***** ***** have the Cummins Insite program

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have gone through the symptom flow chart

Have you checked The Turbocharger Control Shutoff/Valve? You should have a test in Insite to check the actuator travel. Some calibrations do and some dont. Is air getting to the actuator?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
actuator test passes. It only moves 1/4" which I thought was wrong as when you remove the actuator the lever can move about 1"

I'm at a loss right now, Unless the complaint is not valid and the customer thinks he should have more breaking power. Or there is something up within the turbo that is binding or not working properly. I have got bad turbos out of the box especially RX

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the old turbo was binding and only spinning at 30%, now functioning at 130% very happy with the power increase, just lost jaking power

Yes was it verified? Does he want to go thru the windshield because he wont. Use insite and see the % of Brake being used.Maybe the dash switch is the cause and not allowing braking on all cylinders. ect That may help. But if all you did was a turbo replacement and all that check out I would have to suspect the customer had issues or thinks he does prior to the repairs and since you were the last ones in there he wants it fixed for free. I'm just stating real life scenarios that i deal with daily. Not blaming you for anything .