Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

2007 freightliner M2 wont start, No wait to sart light or

Customer Question

2007 freightliner M2 wont start
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: No wait to sart light or check engine light , it does crank
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What engine is in the M2?

Did you check for power a the glow plug relay?

Is the ECM light coming on?

Fuses are good?

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuses are goog
No ECM light
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dash says no eng
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can connect to truck
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I meant to say i cant
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ISB 220 6.7
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

What engine do you have?

No ECM light when the key is turned on means the ECM is not getting power or powering on.

Do you have any dmh or chm codes on the dash or you just get the no eng?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sid 017 fail 02
BH 164
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

That's for wheel based vehicle speed. Is that the only one that came up? Wit hthe no eng, there should have been a bh 128 sid 001 code if there is power going to the ECM. That tells me there is none.

Recheck the fuses, including for the one in the battery box.

If good, then pin testing the ECM for power will be needed.

You didn't have a lightning storm by chance did you? Lightning can knock out a ECM if the truck was hit. I live in Florida and see that a lot here with how much lightning we get.

CLICK HERE for a pin chart to check the ECM for power.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I check pin 45 to ecm and it has power to it , no storm this way , what do i do now
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

Check pins 1, 2, 11, 12. That is your main power in. Then check pin 3 from the key. See that you have power in on all of those. If you do, then there is a ECM fault internally to the ECM. If you have dropped pin 3, there is a 5 amp fuse for that pin. See if the fuse looks good, but is still blown. I've seen that before. If it is good, then there is a fault in the relay or the fuse box.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where am i checking this at
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

On the ECM plug.

I provided the diagram showing the plug to check. Look on the diagram on the left plug, near the bottom. The red lines are the pins you are checking.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok give a few while i ckeck and ill get back to u
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is not the correct ECM diagram u send me
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

You should have the ISB 2250 6.7 in this truck, right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ISB 220
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine searial # 46733429 ISB CM2150
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

Oh, you have the early 2007 model, that makes a huge difference.

That is pins 04, 03 if optional added, and 45. You already stated you have power at 45 so you are getting the key feed.

CLICK HERE for the right diagram for it.

Although the terminating resisotr can be ruled out, just in case, check to make sure it isn't damaged. It is on the left of the truck, inside of the frame, near the drives. You will see a little black box looking end at the end of a harness there. Start at the tail and move forward until you see it. If it is intact, then you can move one.

Check the post at pins C and D on this diagram with the batteries undone and verify you have 60 ohms reading on them. CLICK HERE

That resistor will rule out the com link on the whole truck between the ECM and the BH module causing the no eng code.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got 60.7 OMHS And power is good
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

The can bus is good and the power is good.

That only leaves internal ECM issue.

I would try programming with the InCal program first and if no connection there, then the ECM will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i can connect with inline 6 but it tells me error 5080
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

Rombooted ECM.

You have a ECM failure with the EEPROM chip that holds the programming. You'll need to replace the ECM.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do u have the perameters for this truck please I program ECM it starts but i loose the fuel pedal
when i put in gear
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I am in the hospital on my laptop. Got rushed here yesterday afternoon when I had bad chest pain. Waiting now for heart testing...

I don't have access to the programming server here, but i you ask another question, there are 2 other expperts on here that do have the access. If I wasn't here, I could get them for you, but this internet connection here is so slow that it will take hours to download them and then send them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok Get well
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

If I wasn't here I could get it, but I'm stuck and can't.