Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

2011 cummins in a peterbuilt peformed service on unit and

Customer Question

2011 cummins in a peterbuilt peformed service on unit and could not get back started. Changed fuel lift pump and solenoid pump kicked on for about 3 seconds then engine started and ran for 3 seconds and shut down. not gettting power to fuel pump now and it just spins.we checked all fuses and engine does have a engine code saying fuel rail pressure to low?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: i do have a computer to plug in and trouble shoot.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Did you change the lift pump and solenoid pump to try and correct this issue or was this part of the servicing that was done then it wouldnt start from there?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry Pete but im looking for a tech with experience on these engines. Thanks but we do have a considerable amount of experience with these vehicles> this one throwing us for a loop
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the full engine model from the ID tag and your full fault codes you are getting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ISX serial # 79441122
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
fuel rail pressure low. Need to know what to check on ECM what pins etc.

ISX 15 correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Click on this link for the troubleshooting chart.

Troubleshooting

Also Click here,

Troubleshooting

• 1-EGR crossover tube

• 2-Fuel rail pressure sensor

• 3-Fuel rail

• 4-Cylinder head wiring harness pass-through connector

• 5-Cylinder head fuel return line

• 6-Aftertreatment purge air actuator

• 7-Aftertreatment fuel shutoff manifold

• 8-Engine control module (ECM)

• 9-Fuel filter

• 10-Fuel lift pump

• 11-Fuel pump

• 12-Air compressor

• 13-Crankcase breather vent tube.

• 14Crankcase breather housing

• 15-Air intake connection

Click the link at the bottom of the last post to see the corresponding diagram

It is likely the system is air bound if this is directly after changing the fuel filters.

Using a small screwdriver press the center of the test fitting on the fuel pump to try to release the air from the system. Let me know