Andy, Truck Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  International trucks, International, Maxxforce and Cummins engines, diagnostic, electrical, Hvac and refrigeration repairs

We have a 2006 International 4300 series truck,came into the

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,we have a 2006 International 4300 series truck,came into the shop for a low power problem,scanned for codes and test drove,no codes until we started up a long steep hill,lost power and ck. engine light came on,rreturned to the shop and found a code # 353 was active.I visited with the client,it seems to be an intermittent problem as we had the truck in here 2 wks. ago,replaced the fuel filter and test drove,truck ran ok,now it has returned for low power,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: I read the response to a similar problem someone else had and checked a few steps he suggested and droveit again,checked fuel pressure,reading was 59 psi while driving,performed the pre-cycle test,linkage moved the first time,did not move the next two times,rod retracted completely and did not rreturn to the previous position.Thanks for your help in resolving this problem.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hi there ! My name is ***** ***** Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ?

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help with this ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good morning Andy,thank you for your response,we found a couple of days ago while checking the engine with service maxx,we had 2700 psi exhaust back pressure,we removed the pipe and muffler,it did not change,we replaced the exhaust back pressure sensor and the pressure dropped to about .7,test drove again and truck ran fine,drove it again went up a steep hill and the 353 code came back.Starting again and the lever did not move when turning the key to on position,removed the turbo assmy,yesterday,thought I could find info on the new ON-Command program I bought from Int'l ,my sales rep could not figure how to install it on the computer.I really do not know where to go from here or do I need to backtrack with somemore testing? This is our first experience checking and diagnosing this engine.Thanks,Paul.
Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hi there ! I need to start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please ? You are getting 353 because likely the vgt actuator , linkage and pivot shaft are binding or seizing up and sticking.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

With engine at normal operating temperature , we need to perform a bounce test and a precycle test several times to see if there is any sticking at all .

Expert:  Andy replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help ?