Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

I have a lost of power and my turbo gage doesnt rise.What

Customer Question

I have a lost of power and my turbo gage doesnt rise.What does this mean?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: When I lose power I have to pull over for about 20 minutes and then everthing is back to normal.As soon as I pull off,I can see my turbo gage rise again.Thats how I know its back to normal.
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No thats all.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
What engine do you have?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2013 Volvo D13
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Your turbo has an electronic actuator on it that is controlled by the computer. It controls the vanes in the turbo to provide the needed boost at the demands of the engine. It sounds like that actuator is malfunctioning. Are you getting any codes or check engine lights? If so, then I would have the codes read to determine is the issue is the harness or the actuator itself. If there are no codes, then the actuator itself is bad.

You can replace just teh actuator without the need to replace the turbo. Be warned that is the vane stroke on the turbo is not moving properly, it is the reason the actuator gear motor is sticking and the whole turbo will need to be replaced. I just want you to be prepared on that in case the shop checks it and they state the turbo has a bad control rod.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
10 rating
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

There are stars above to where you can rate as well, just an fyi.

Oh, I forgot to add, the Volvo PTT software is needed for the install of the actuator. It is difficult to do it yourself. The reason is the actuator is programmed on the truck. It is a 2 step process to put it on the truck. You plug it in before mounting it and install it to the truck, then you mount it and do a calibrate. This sets in the stroke for the vanes on the actuator.

It is an important step that I didn't want to fogret about.