Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

I have a C13 in a 7500 International, dump truck, I did a

Customer Question

I have a C13 in a 7500 International, dump truck, I did a lot of research and it seemed that everyone was having the issue with the oil pressure switch by the timing cover. I don't ever seem to have luck that easy. Replaced the sensor, and cleared the, code comes back as soon as you crank the engine. Code I am receiving is SPN 2948 FMI = 3 Occurrence count 22.
Thank You,
Steve
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Can you get me the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
KCB25670
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
The 2948-3 is referring to the Iva oil pressure sensor under your valve cover. Not the one on the outside.
A -3 indicates an open circuit. You have either a failed sensor or damaged wiring that connects to it.
Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It that a simple sensor to replace?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
It's easy. It just screws out. It's a three wire sensor. Not hard at all.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I called my local cat dealer is having a hard time locating the sensor. They are telling me the external sensor, 2 wire that I got from them is the same sensor. Do you possibly have a part number?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
The part number you need is(###) ###-####Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Local cat dealer came up with a(###) ###-####does that sound like the correct part number?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
He should be able to cross reference my number to his. If it has changed. He can tell.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that sensor pretty easy to identify under the valve cover? Just wanted to make sure that there was not any other sensors Similar to it. Was ready that you should replace the harnesses under the valve cover also when you replace the sensor. Is that the case?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Yeah it's near the front of the engine. It's the only three wire sensor under the valve cover.
I would not replace the harness. I would try the sensor first. Just inspect the harness for damage.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I appreciate your help, will have the sensor in the morning
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
These are two sensors that the local cat dealer gave me as possibilities. They were trying to give me the sensor that is by the timing cover. My local cat dealer is not exactly the best. I do not see anything under valve cover that looks like the sensors they gave me
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Those are Iva pressure sensors but the wrong ones.
I would remove the three wire Iva sensor from you engine and take it to them. They should be able to cross reference the part number I gave you. Your right, some Cat dealers are not any good. Sorry.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
It's possible the one with a harness is an updated version.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could you possibly send me a picture and location of the sensor
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
The sensor is the only three wire sensor under the valve cover near the front. Sorry I do not have a good pic. It's near cylinders 1 and 2. If you can send me a pic I can confirm it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is a sensor in the front right corner (passenger side) of engine. It has three wires coming out of it, there are 4 tiny, torx bit screws in the head of it
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Can you send a pic?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is the one from the part number you gave me. I am headed to the truck now to take a picture of the on that is on the truck
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
that's the part number I show for your engine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe I see the correct sensor
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
10-4. Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. I dropped and broke my phone. Everything worked out with my problem with the check engine light. Fired the truck up and codes cleared. Let the truck running and then test drove it, all of a sudden, the truck was trying to run hot. Cannot make the fan clutch come on even with the over ride switch. Did not have any over heating issues previously. Any ideas?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
What temp does the engine get up to?
Did the red or yellow engine light come on when this happened?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine temp will reach around 230 degrees. Fan clutch does not come on. I have a fan override switch on the dash to engage the fan manually. You can use the switch to turn the fan on and nothing happens. The temperature normally stays around 190 to 200, and you can here the fan engage normally.In my last message, I was stating that the issue with my check engine light, the yellow light had been resolved by replacing the IVA sensor. When I test drove the truck after replacing the IVA sensor is when it started to over heat. I had never had an issue with over heating before. Was wondering if you had any ideas on what could cause it to all of a sudden start over heating and the fan override switch to stop working at the same time? All coolant levels are good.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information.
Since the fan did not come on. I would suspect a problem with the fan control solenoid or the fan hub or fan control relay, if it has one.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. With a rating I receive nothing for my time. Thanks.