Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Brake lights not working on 1987 GMC 6000 diesel. Lamps OK

Customer Question

Brake lights not working on 1987 GMC 6000 diesel. Lamps OK (flashers work).
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: This rig has air brakes - does it also use a hydraulic system?
JA: What is the model of your '87 GM?
Customer: 6000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. It's been a while since I last tried to work on it, and I recall having a hard time tracing the wiring without a wiring diagram. Since the turn signals and 4-ways are working, I figured it might be a problem with one of the diodes that keep the turn signals from feeding back into the lamp on the opposite side. Or just a bad connection somewhere, but most of the run should be in common with the turn signal function, no?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of - should be pretty straightforward. I did read somewhere that there was a recall about the time of this model year that involved the brake lights.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

This was in the car category and got moved over. I apologize for the delay in responding. Do you still need assistance with this?

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!