go-west..
go-west.., Technician
Experience:  Technican with 20 years experience focused on engines and electrical.
35815791

Hallo, I have a 2002 freightliner Columbia, replaced clutch

Customer Question

hallo, I have a 2002 freightliner Columbia, replaced clutch six months ago, its 8 hours job, but took the shop 8 days to fix, everyday I call to ask why 8 hour job is taking 8 days, they keep telling me they couldn't align the tranny to the engine and they had to wait for a mechanic from another state to fix it right, I don't if the new mechanic align it correctly or not, the truck finally was ready, at this point where they took 8 days to align the tranny, i gauzed they didn't align it anyways coz I was skeptical, they assured me everything is okay. I paid the bills of $2200 and went back to work. after six months driving on the road, all hell went loose, got stuck in the middle of the road, truck can move any longer, the gear got stuck, the clutch pedal dropped and hard to depress, got towed to international dealer. Bad news they told me after diagnosing the truck, all bell housing bolts broken, the tranny almost fell off due to the broken bolts. After I told them about replacing the clutch six months ago and the guys had hard time aligning the tranny, they [international dealer] told me that's exactly what has caused this failure, they said, 1-they didn't align the tranny,2-wrong bolts used 3-never toque the bolts correctly and 4th they never used Loctite, they also said that this bolts are grade 8 bolts that should not broke or back out. Please I need your take on this and give a couple of reason as to why this bolts broke. I will appreciate if you could also email me your thoughts of this failure or what could have caused this bolts to break. My email is***@******.***
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
here are the photos
Expert:  go-west.. replied 4 months ago.
Good evening
I've seen this before and you know what these guys did was use a impact gun and over torque the bolts. Those bolts should only be torqued to 60 max and they went a lot higherTake lots of pics my friend call that shop and show them what happened this is there responsibility. Let me know if you have any other questions
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sir I have request an in depth assessment of this issue, and you just gave me two words answer, I need more detail answer. If not $68 is not worthy for your answer.