Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Have a 1996 INT, 4900 with a dt530 and a MD 3060 Allison

Customer Question

Have a 1996 INT, 4900 with a dt530 and a MD 3060 Allison tranny. Under any acceleration the truck dies tons of un burnt diesel comes out of the exhaust, if I don't back out of it quick enough it will back fire. Hooked up scan tool and came up with a active code finnally after fighting this thing to get a active code to come up SD 253, Engine using field default rating. Now the truck will not start or fire, 60lbs of oil and tons of diesel smoke
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Truck Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Swapped out ICP sender and checked and tested fuel system
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help.

Fuel Injection Sync Circuit OCC Self Test failed

Check between the battery box and ECM/IDM for corrosion or damage in the harness or connector pins and for a faulty inline fuse. Check the IDM relay and confirm your ECM powers and grounds. If okay inspect the injector harness between the ECM/IDM and injectors for problems. Possible faulty injector can also cause this fault as well. You should have around 870 PSI ICP pressure while cranking while checking with a mechanical 5000 PSI gauge and up to around 4000 PSI with 12 V applied to the IPR to read full pump pressure. Before doing so apply shop air to the ICP port by teeing in to pressure test and listen for leaks in the injector o rings under the valve covers. Let me know

a faulty IDM relay and possible failed ECM could also be the problem. If you have access to a known good ECM, try a test ECM. Let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
More to the story. more codes. (VPM) ECM (DCL) Ji708 (ATA) code 253 Active now

Thanks for the updated info. 253 converts to these code number. Reflash and update the software in the ECM and have it tested.

DTC 621 – Engine using mfg default rating
Condition: Manufacturing defaults selected.
Symptoms: Very low power (25 hp).
Possible Causes: Programmable parameters for the ECM were never programmed in module.
(Usually occurs in new vehicle or new module).
Actions: Program ECM.

DTC 622 – Engine using field default rating
Condition: Engine using field default rating.
Symptoms: Low power (lowest rating in engine class) and vehicle features not working.
Possible Causes: Programmable parameters for the ECM incorrectly programmed in module.
Actions: Program ECM.

DTC 623 – Invalid engine EFRC
Condition: Invalid EFRC
Symptoms: Possible hard start and no start or low power condition.
Possible Causes: Wrong EFRC selected for the ECM strategy programmed in the module.
Actions: Check the EFRC and verify that it matches the ECM strategy level. Reprogram the
ECM or change the EFRC as necessary