Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a Ford F550 2006, with vin no: 1FDAF57P76EB51041.

Customer Question

I have a Ford F550 2006, with vin no: 1FDAF57P76EB51041. Recently it started to do hard cranking and after starting, it would raise as soon as you hit the throttle then it would loose power and not have any throttle response again. It idles for a while and then it would go off. I have read a lot of online thread and suspected it could be the ICP sensor, EBP sensor, the IPR, and maybe the HPOP pump and as a long shot the in rail fuel pump. I have replaced all of these one after the other with OEM parts from ford and the problem still persist. I reviewed the threshold for the different sensors and when you start the ford, it operates within this limit, with the ICP, IPR, turbo, EBP reading within limit both in key on engine off state and in engine idle and engine raise/running stages.ICP, turbo, IPR, EBP and turbo reading what it should be and we are getting throttle response on the scanner/laptop used to monitor the gauges. However, when the problem starts, the ICP pressure goes to 850psi, the EBP reads within limit, the IPR however shows 43% in idle instead of 24%. I have atttached the picture of the screen shot during when the problem occurs. I still get throttle response on the laptop showing changes as you press it, however, the truck does not respond to the trottle and it idles for a while in this state then goes off. filters have been changed e.t.c I need help in finding out what else could be wrong in order to fix the truck. Have a look at a picture of the screen shot of sensors when the problem occurs. I can't get the truck to move from its current position.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jr Gilliam replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

How long does the engine crank before it starts, and also how fast does it build icp pressure?

Thanks

Jr

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just put a Video showing sensor reading during idle state. ICP pressure builds withing 2-5 seconds after engine starts. I would measure exactly how long it takes before engine starts.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Video is on YouTube with title: Ford F550 2006 sensor reading idle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I remember it taking up to 30 seconds to a minute of crank before starting
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbViQUkGEQs

High pressure oil leak is a common failure on the 6.0. Easiest way to check it is to pull the valve covers and check for excessive oil coming out of the rail while idling. The leak could be an injector nipple, cracked oil rail, loose plug in the oil rail. It can be troubleshot with the valve cover on but requires a lot of expensive tooling. If you need anything else just let me know

Thanks

Jr

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
checked the valve there was no leaks there.