Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician

We have a C5500 GMC truck. The diesel engine has 182,000

Customer Question

Good afternoon! We have a C5500 GMC truck. The diesel engine has 182,000 miles and it is serviced regularly at Chevrolet of Spartanburg.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No. I'm sure they have that information at the dealership. We have had this truck in the last four times for the shutting down issue.The filters are changed every oil change. We are now playing the replacement game. New fuel lines, fuel pump and all sensors. The truck shuts off randomly. It just shut off at a toll booth which requires getting out and pumping to prime the fuel pump. The labor costs and replacement parts are never challenged. We just want the truck repaired. We suggested that the wiring harness be replaced and it wasn't so I am wondering if maybe that is our next step. Any help will be appreciated as our tech is almost as frustrated as we are. He test drives it without a problem and as soon as it is driven to a job, this particular job is over eleven hundred miles, the truck dies often. Can you help? We cannot possible be the only ones to experience this problem.
JA: The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Chevy Mechanic will know how to find that out. Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Chevy Mechanic will know how to find that out. What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 GMC 5500.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you reading my replies or is this automated.
JA: No. I'm the Chevy Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: We have this truck serviced and repaired at Chevrolet of Spartanburg, SC. We do not attempt to repair or replace any parts, that includes fuel filters, air filters, etc. The last visits were to repair the engine shutting down issue and they are not working. It has become a part interchange hoping to alleviate the problem of the engine shutting down and not restarting until the fuel pump is pumped by hand along side the road or where ever it chooses to stop!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just how to repair the problem permanently. Is the wiring harness the culprit?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

What engine do you have in this one?

If you have to keep priming the fuel filter, the issue is fuel related and not electrical related. That is the first sign for me.

Some of these 5500s have had broken pick up tubes in the fuel tanks. Have you noticed if the fuel reaches a certain point that this has occurred? If so, then the issue will be in one of the tanks (if you have dual). Otherwise, I would have the fuel lines tested, the crossover valved for the fuel tanks, the fuel filter housing bypasses to see if the housing is causing an issue which is a bad problem with the Isuzu engines, the fuel return check valve if it is a CAT engine, and the head itself for any cracks or pressure loss due to a bad injector cup cauising the fuel to unload in the cylinder and the pressure dropping.

I'm not sure what all was done, but I can assure you the issue is related to the fuel system if you have to keep priming the engine when it shuts down. It is getting air from wither the suction or pickup side ot losing pressure on the pressure side due to check valves or pressure regulator or cracked head.

I hope this narrows it down.

Also, if this is a Isuzu or CAT, take the truck to a medium truck repair shop for they will be better able to service it versus Chevrolet in Spartansburg. If you are ok to get the truck to Columbia, Shealy is the best shop in the state for the Chevrolet with the Isuzu engines. I'm in Florida and we send our fleet trucks to them rom all over SC and TN to them if we can.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.