John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a DT466 International engine. I have 279,000 miles on

Customer Question

I have a DT466 International engine. I have 279,000 miles on it. My blow-by at bottom of engine smoke in my opinion excessively. This is a school bus and runs real good. Oil is not old and had serviced recently. How can I stop blow-by from smoking and/or this is a warning for something else.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  John Oliver replied 4 months ago.

good morning Malvo my name is ***** ***** to hear about the blow by. assuming that you are not using coolant it sounds like its time for an inframe rebuild. Basicly your building excessive crank case pressure from compression sneaking past the piston rings. this can be caused by valves that are tired or worn piston rings. If you didnt want to spend the money on an inframe kit I would get the head rebuilt and see if that helps. either way, if you do a rebuild or not the head should be done

just a word of advise on the piston sleeve kit..... there were a ton of variations on this engine and piston height veried from one engine to another. be very careful if you order after market pistons. my suggestion is to get the OEM part #s and have aftermarket match them up that way.

hope this helps and thanks for using JA

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long can I roll like this...the Bus seems to b running fine...Is there any type additive I can add to oil that would help...n what signs will happen as it gets worst?

hard to say how long it will last...week...5 years....tomorrow

run a good quality 15w/40 oil such as shell rotella to help keep it going. as far as an additive.... not really sure what works better than the rest. I personally feel that additives only mask issues and make it difficult to see just exactly what you have.

good afternoon Malvo, you all set on this? if so when you have a second rate the service and I can close this out. have a great weekend ahead