Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on, Gmc, Macks, Freight liner,Mercedes Benz,,Ford, sterling
6825259

350 big cam loosing coolant no external leaks is water

Customer Question

350 big cam loosing coolant no external leaks is water droplets and a bit of steam coming fro crank case breather but no obvious water in oil .the coolant looks rusty color so i persume could be corrosion problem whats the most likely place it could be leaking from?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  oldnewenglandmarine replied 7 months ago.

Hi George, my name is Jason.

The most likely reason for both the coolant loss and the rusty color is the heat exchanger itself is rotting out, and has a hole in it. When that happens coolant and seawater will mix, giving you a rusty color. Coolant will also escape and leak into the seawater side. What needs to happen is the heat exchanger needs to be drained, removed, and pressure tested. Does that make sense to you?

I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine is in a truck not a boat. And the radiator is ok. I just took one of the rocker covers off and its full of watery sludge

Your question is in the boat category.... What kind of truck is this, i'll get this moved to the proper category for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its an international s line with a tipper body

Okay i'll get this moved for you. Sorry for the confusion.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

what you are describing is a head gasket starting to fail

go to auto/truck parts store ask for a bottle of exhaust gas test

pour in radiator, follow directions on bottle

and check for exhaust gases in the cooling system

also when you have head off,have it magnafluxed for cracks

I hope this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If need more info use the info button

Not Poor/Bad service

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi again assuming that you are right about it being a head gasket. how do I determine which head is leaking this motor has 3 heads.
cummins 350 big cam.
i tried some head gasket sealer in the radiator but didn't help. hoping for a miracle i supose. its loosing about 20 liters a day but still not showing in oil even though its coming out the crank case breather. ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is some gas bubbles coming out of the radiator but is showing no signs of over heating
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for that

the best way is to remove the exhaust manifold,

and pressure the cooling system to see water in the heads

if you have gas bubbles in the radiator, you have a gasket going bad

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If need more info use the info button

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.

Hi

Just a follow up with you

how we doing with this

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the water has got into the oil now so someone i know told me to take off the sump to check if a liner is leaking and to see where the water is coming from. so i did all that and pressurized it but no sign of any leaks. haven't taken off the exhaust
manifold yet but will do so tomorrow.
another guy recons its very unlikely to be a head gasket because these motors have steel gaskets and virtually never blow. what do you think ?
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.

Morning

I have seen the head gaskets leak more then

not, it also may be a crack in the head

I suggest to remove the heads ,take to machine shop

and have them magnifluxed

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If need more info use the info button

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.

Hi

Just a follow up with you

just wondering if my answer helped you