Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

Getting an alert code: ECU temperature gh engine starts to

Customer Question

Getting an alert code: ECU temperature high engine starts to missing. 2004, 14 liter what's going on?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.

Hi Mark, My name is***** is the make and chassis model truck this is in?

What fault code number are you getting? Are you sure its not EGR temp?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Frieghtliner columbia

Do you know how to view faults using the odometer and mode switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I'm not driving truck have driver in it on road now

If you prefer a call there should be a link to send over a call request.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he just text me photo of alert on dash and says it missing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I clicked on it once now its gone
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess I'm just stuck here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess I don't understand how this works what is a service offers?

Premium services are for phone calls, manual or file sharing, etc at an added cost available if needed

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lets try to figure this out here

Copy and paste this link in your browser if clicking on it does not work. It explains how to pull codes from the dash

http://www.selectruckhouston.com/pdf/New_Folder3/columbia-driver's-manual.pdf

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
File not found is the answer

Did you copy and paste the entire link?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yep says 404 file not found

Its the drivers manual. if that doesnt work you can find the pdf googling columbia drivers manual

Some links the site wont allow to be posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
found it without reading the whole thing can you tell what page it's on

PDF pages 17-20

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't really see how that going to help much. Already had it in the shop connected to their computer and no fault codes showed. Talked to 3 mechanics in 3 shops. No answers. Talked to service forman at freightliner for about 30 minutes in person. Had no idea what was going on. Said maybe ecm going bad maybe vpod maybe egr. I think it's a bad wire somewhere. Don't want to spend thousands of dollars and weeks of down time just to find out it's a stinking 30 dollar sensor. Been there done that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to bed..

Im trying to see what codes by number may be logged in the chassis Sam module and ECM logged by using the dash display. You will need the detroit diagnostic software plugged in to monitor the paremters or you will never diagnose this problem.

ill opt out so someone else can help. There is no ECU Temp Hi

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Have the driver push the diagnostic button when he is stopped and get the flash codes. Columbia's don't display the codes in the cluster. If the driver is telling you that, have him take a picture of it. He/she might be using it as an excuse to not run the load.

There are no ECU hi temp codes. There are voltage codes, but they will not display on the cluster at all. You get check engine light and shut down codes and if that is the case, the ECM needs to be tested for power faults on the harnes going to the ECM. The ECM plug needs to come out and see if there is corrosion or coolant getting pushed from the coolant sensor causing the voltage codes. That is common on these model of trucks and the engine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy