][\][iCk0411, Fleet Manager
Experience:  310T Red Seal- Truck and Coach Technician

I have a 2000 Intl DT466 With a voltage inverter 120volt AC,

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Intl DT466 With a voltage inverter for a 120volt AC
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: my voltage on my truck Starts to drop off to below 12 volts on the dash is there a voltage regulator that can be adjusted or do I need a more powerful altinator.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Truck Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Truck Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no. Last year it worked fine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  ][\][iCk0411 replied 3 months ago.

Hello Sir, My name is ***** ***** welcome back to Just Answer! Can you please start by answering a couple more questions.

What size of amperage is the alternator on your unit and have you ever replaced it?

How many Amps is the inverter you have installed and what do you run off that inverter?

How many batteries are run for your truck and is the inverter installed directly to these batteries?

Unfortunately there is no amperage adjustment so there is a defect present if you did not encounter this previously.

Thank you,

Hello Sir, I wanted to check into see if you have had a chance to check your truck charging further. The question is still open but will timeout if you don't respond within 72 hours. I wanted to make sure that you have a chance to respond and get the answers you need before it closes and you loose your deposit.

I look forward to hearing from you, Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My Truck was out of town but I have the answers to your question.
The alternator is supposed to originally be100 amps according to the manufacturer. I believe it still is.
The inverter is a 5000 watt 12V DC to 120 AC out
Originally the truck had 2 Batteries, I added a 3rd. Now 3batteries

Thank you for the follow up! Before doing anything I would just confirm with a voltage meter that the voltage is dropping at the alternator besides the voltage gage in the cab. Just a warning because I had had those gages do some weird things and it be a false alarm. Only other thing I would recommend checking is the connections at the alternator aren't badly corroded, or a loose ground wire to the alternator, or battery.

If the alternator is not keeping up to 14.1 V while running then it is definitely defective. For your truck I would recommend a 140, or even a 160 amp alternator if it is available.

If you have any other questions please let me know! otherwise, I would appreciate a rating on my service provided.

Thank you,