Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Am I have a skid steer 753 Bobcat and it's giving me a code

Customer Question

Am I have a skid steer 753 Bobcat and it's giving me a code 21-03 glow plug error off I checked the relay my sweet Annette with some other relay in fuse box. No lock. The machine Buzz showing me glow plug light on during operation. Eventually start losing power light not accelerating then what I do for a little bit and then it cut off. And now I can't even get it to start
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** is your machine serial number? Check the wiring and connections for damage or shorts and for a faulty glow plug relay sticking. Test all your fuses for power on both sides with the key switch on. Test your battery and clean, inspect, tighten all your battery to starter connections including all grounds and test that your alternator is charging around 2 volts above battery voltage with engine running. Low voltage and poor connections and grounds can also cause these symptoms. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't seem to find the serial number. I know I had to have it for some other issues in the past but I forgot where is located at I hope it's not on there lifting arms because I can not turn the engine on. I have switched the relay with the relays that are similar. One was for switch power, rear light and the last one that is similar to glow plug relay was traction. So I tried all those 3 in the glow plug socket but no luck. I checked the harness coming from fuse box and looks pretty solid and connections on the back looks good. So far I haven't seen any damage on the harness as much as I could see the harness. The machine was running for a long time with the glow plug light being on until it's start having a lot less power and eventually got less and less that you couldn't accelerate at all. It was acting as like when you running out of fuel. I know it turns over no problem but doesn't even want to start. Anyway I can check the wires that leads to glow plug relay socket and what kind of reading am I looking for if that's even necessary for would give me any info.

Thanks for the update. Check for leaks or restrictions between the tank and pump sucking in air. If yours has the primmer bulb check that is it working as they are known to fail. If you are interested I can hook you up with the complete service book over 400 pages in PDF for immediate download. Ill send over the request just in case you are interested..

You can install a clear hose inline on the fuel suction to see if you are loosing prime or sucking in air. Watch for air bubbles. also check for power tp the fuel shutoff solenoid with the key on and engine running and that the shutoff is actually mechanically working. Let me know

I will be heading out with family in an hour so my availability for follow ups may be spotty during the holiday weekend. i just wanted to give a heads up in advance. Let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The dead couple things that I'm concerned. If I have problem with fuel why am I getting a code for glow plug error. Would that be normal however I have a manual primer which I squeeze 3x and it gets hard also I have a valve right below the injector pump when I open that I have plenty fuel forcing out also have a little finger tighten or loosen knob on the top of their injector pump which if I remember that is for bleeding the air but when I loosen that I did not get any fuel or air spraying out or leaking out
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Again I don't know if there is problem with fuel should I get the code 21 - 03 glow plug error off. Anyhow what is the difference between glow plug error off or on. Bot***** *****ne if I have problem with you would that cost this code to come up what if I get power at the glow plug connection. I know there's too many questions all at once but it seems like you going with your family and I'm stuck here. Hope you have fun

ode 21-03 indicates that the bobcat controller is not getting a voltage signal on wire 8550 telling it that the glow plug relay has triggered on when commanded. The problem could be a broken 8550 wire, or a faulty relay.

Check if the glow plug relay is clicking on when the ignition is turned on. When on, it should have voltage at pin 86 to trigger the relay on, pin 30 (from the fuse), and through to pin 87.