Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

My 671 Detroit in a 4104 bus does not want to turn off

Customer Question

my 671 Detroit in a 4104 bus does not want to turn off normally. we installed a new skinner valve but it does not correct the problem, where should we look next?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Truck Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The bus at idle will not turn off by turning off the normal switch. For the past year I have turning it off by dumping the air out of the main air tank, but past weekend this did not work so I had to stop it with the engine emergency stop switch, which cuts the air and fuel to the blower
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Truck Mechanic should know?
Customer: Just that we put on a new Magnetic stop valve known as the "Skinner" valve
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Truck Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.

Hi Glenn my name is ***** ***** be glad to try to help. Bare with me while I pull up some information

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

When bus start run toggle switch is put in off position, the gauges die, but the engine keeps idling, so I do not think problem is with switch. We installed the new skinner valve, it did not help. So for past year I have been opening drain on main air tank which is a normal procedure to clear out any water vapor and this has stopped the engine as the air escapes. But last sunday I did this and it would not stop idling. So I could either throw the emergency engine stop switch or slam the clutch and stop it, so I chose the emergency engine stop and it stopped. I am wondering where to look next

Thanks for the update. Are there any air leaks at the shutoff and is the linkage in tact and not disconnected? They have been known to come loose causing this problem. Let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I am not at the bus currently, and am getting ready to go to work, When the skinner valve was installed I think that it had two air lines attached to it, one in an one out. My buddy that worked on it too, say that it does not making a hissing noise when the off switch at the dash is activated, he believes that it used to before the old one stopped working, we have the old one maybe I can put it back on an do some checking, but that would not be until this sunday. Can we put this problem on hold, and I can reopen case #***** on a later date?

Sure. Let me know when you want to pick back up on this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks Daniel, I will go to the bus Sunday, and try to gather more information. The skinner valve not being in front of me I do not remember exactly what the set up looks like. Glenn Troyan

Hi Glenn. Happy 4th!!! Just checking in to see how you are making out on this.

Hi Glenn, Did you get this resolved?